Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco Electrical Short

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disco Electrical Short

So as America knows, the entire Southeast was hit hard by rain/tornadoes. Thus, as a result, new mudding for the disco But, dumb me tried fording a developing creek without knowing there was a deep ditch lying underneath. Needless to say I hit this "small" creek at about 7 MPH. As soon as I hit the water I hit the ditch, easily the Rover pulled out....but, as soon as I had abrubtly hit the hole my hazard lights came on. I couldn't turn them off, and they continued ticking as I drove the rest of the way home. Due to the storms I quickly just disconnected the battery and headed inside. This morning, after taking out the fuse, the ticktocking persisted somewhere underneath the dash. I don't know what to do, anybody have any similar past stories or good ideas of what may have occured?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Open the hood and press the rubber button on the fire wall.
That is your inertia switch, when it gets tripped it will kill the fuel pump and set off the hazards.
If it just gets a hard bump it will set off the hazards but not kill the fuel pump.

For the future make sure you know how deep the water is before you try and cross it.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
That is your inertia switch, when it gets tripped it will kill the fuel pump and set off the hazards.
If it just gets a hard bump it will set off the hazards but not kill the fuel pump.

For the future make sure you know how deep the water is before you try and cross it.
wow, ya learn something new everyday...I did not know that the inertia switch triggered the hazzards too. My only hope is that I'll be able to remember it if it ever happens to me .

Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just write it on the dash with a sharpie as a reminder.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
Thanks! You're the man, learn something new about these beasts everyday.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Just write it on the dash with a sharpie as a reminder.
thanks ! Danny.
Somebody on here re-did their headliner as a chalkboard.....just think of all the operating instructions a guy could put up there !

Old 04-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
thanks ! Danny.
Somebody on here re-did their headliner as a chalkboard.....just think of all the operating instructions a guy could put up there !
Agreed, that'd be sweet.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I totally removed my headliner and the backerboard. I like the exposed metal. I got some corrosion to take care of, I am re-routing wire bundles. I am going to remove all the unused wires like the bundle for the rear air and such. Already removed some of the unused wiring.

I have some rust thru by the Alpine windows on each side I need to address. Pulled all carpets and padding as well. Most of the interior trim panels. Got some rust in te rear around the rubber door seal I plan to remove the seal and see how bad that is.

Some rust at the seams of the floor panels all the way from front to back. CD changer is gone. Plan o relocate the breakers and such from under the drive's seat.

Was looking today at the factory wiring loom, what a joke it is. May clean up the entire installation with some of the new style conduit I have seen at various places like Lowes.

Pulled the factory stereo and speakers, looking at what to do for some basic sounds or may just forgo the sound system and continue singing my Favoirite Jimmy Buffet song, "Have you Always been an A$$hole" and a few other old classics from before some of you guy's time.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Team Owner

Watch this video and you will see the hazards come on.

YouTube - Land Rover Discovery destruction #1 'DEATH JUMP'

Old 04-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Team Owner

Quick Reply: Disco Electrical Short