Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco radiator arrived today 232.00 ebay

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm assuming it's aluminum. I looked all over for an aluminum radiator and the only ones I found were custom and very expensive, or never went into production. However I just got a line on a used one-off custom fabricated one with electric fans. Does this one have any manufacturer label? The nice thing about plastic tanks is they're easily replaced if damaged, but only if you know who to go to for new ones.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
I'm assuming it's aluminum. I looked all over for an aluminum radiator and the only ones I found were custom and very expensive, or never went into production. However I just got a line on a used one-off custom fabricated one with electric fans. Does this one have any manufacturer label? The nice thing about plastic tanks is they're easily replaced if damaged, but only if you know who to go to for new ones.
Yes alum. seems very well made.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Pro Wrench

Good to hear. I might go with one of those, but I'm hoping this one works out: Disco radiator arrived today 232.00 ebay-img_0695.jpg

Old 06-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm assuming it's aluminum. I looked all over for an aluminum radiator and the only ones I found were custom and very expensive,
The only benefit to an aluminum radiator is that aluminum is cheaper and lighter than brass, so the aftermarket, high performance radiators are able to be bigger without much extra weight. Brass or whatever similar metals actually transfer heat better.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Discolife
Looks like a new radiator, may not be copper and brass etc. but its what all new cars have so Ill go with it.
Sounds like a screaming good deal. Someone out there is going to make a fortune by selling modern, economical radiators for these. Let us know how well it works for you.

What are you doing to do with your old radiator? Someone may want it to recore, with extra cores, for higher performance.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jafir
The only benefit to an aluminum radiator is that aluminum is cheaper and lighter than brass, so the aftermarket, high performance radiators are able to be bigger without much extra weight. Brass or whatever similar metals actually transfer heat better.

I think thats a broad statement not comapring apples to apples, new modern rads compared to those made yesteryear are much better.

One of the biggest issues to change was 4 row rad at .5 inch widths compared to an alum 2 row with 1 inch widths, alum wins hand down with a better understanding of the number of rows vs the fins involved now.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Pro Wrench

The research I've done has convinced me that radiator design is more important than material.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

The research I've done has convinced me that radiator design is more important than material.
That is true. That why I said that the cheaper material, aluminum, radiators can be made bigger. This bigger (or better designed) radiator will therefore cool better.

If you were to take two identical style and size radiators, one made from brass and one from aluminum, the brass would cool better.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jafir
That is true. That why I said that the cheaper material, aluminum, radiators can be made bigger. This bigger (or better designed) radiator will therefore cool better.

If you were to take two identical style and size radiators, one made from brass and one from aluminum, the brass would cool better.
Ill agree to that.

The larger two row rads seem to work well

Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Three Wheeling

I was eyeballing this last week but didnt pull the trigger because it seemed way TOO good to be real, considering the prices of the other options available . Very curious how this works out for you . Hopefully very well. I need a ghetto fix as the play money is low, the OEM's at boneyards are complete **** and the $500 replacements Ive seen online are 50% of what i paid for this ****box.

Keep us posted .

Quick Reply: Disco radiator arrived today 232.00 ebay