Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco1 engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019 | 02:47 PM
|
Overlanding
Default Disco1 engine replacement

All, I use my 96 disco 1 as a daily driver, and I love the car. She’s got 240k miles on her. Due to fair amount of engine leaks it’s time to either rebuild or replace the engine, replacement being the most economic option. People say I’m crazy and should just pick up another running disco for far less cost. I love my disco and believe that it will be classic sooner than later. Yes she’s expensive to maintain, but I can’t drive anything else.

Over the years I’ve accessed great advice from this site. I’m hoping that there are other crazy enthusiasts out there still holding on to their disco 1. Please let me know what is the best option for replacement or rebuilding, what to watch out for, what other items should be restored/replaced while we’re in there and what to avoid. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-02-2019 | 04:29 PM
Pro Wrench

Have you considered getting a more practical daily driver and keeping the Disco for a weekend driver? We all love our Discos but 240k and a new engine consideration is going to be a task and cost some cash. What will you drive while the truck is sitting if you get a new motor?

The following users liked this post:
SFdisco (06-03-2019)
Old 06-02-2019 | 07:50 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by SFdisco
Please let me know what is the best option for replacement or rebuilding, what to watch out for, what other items should be restored/replaced while we’re in there and what to avoid.
Well, since nobody asked the most important question I'll do so; What is your budget? Any answer is directly related.

SFdisco (06-03-2019)
Old 06-02-2019 | 08:45 PM
Rock Crawling

Standard rebuild with the exception of a crower 53229 camshaft should do. I dont know what 4.6 rotating assemblies go for these days, but if you can afford it youd be crazy to not pick one up and use it with your existing block. A D1 with a 4.6 is a pleasure to drive.

Old 06-03-2019 | 10:44 PM
|
Overlanding

Originally Posted by stillruns
Have you considered getting a more practical daily driver and keeping the Disco for a weekend driver? We all love our Discos but 240k and a new engine consideration is going to be a task and cost some cash. What will you drive while the truck is sitting if you get a new motor?
Driving a more practical car would be the practical thing to do, but I like driving this car too much. Over the years all my buddies who told me to get rid of the car have come around to appreciate its simplicity and authenticity. Now kids are giving me the thumbs up. I own a 64 230SL that I can dust off during the engine work.

Old 06-03-2019 | 10:45 PM
|
Overlanding

I figured about $7k for the engine work.

Old 06-03-2019 | 10:48 PM
|
Overlanding

Unfortunately, the only folks up here in NorCal that will rebuild will charge an arm and a leg. With my budget, buying a rebuilt engine seems the only way to go.

Last edited by SFdisco; 06-03-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-03-2019 | 10:51 PM
|
Overlanding

What’s really amazing is that although she leaking something crazy now, I have full compression on all cylinders. No loss of power or performance at all. Been using high mileage oil and taking very good care of the car.

Last edited by SFdisco; 06-03-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2019 | 07:56 AM
Rock Crawling

then you dont need a engine,.... just TLC - likely a upper engine gasket refresh would make a huge difference.
these are notorious for valve cover leaks - like really bad leaks
also power steering line cracks and leaks
also old cracked oil and trans cooler lines leak

the reason I mention this....... is that all of these parts would get replaced on a proper engine replacement so why not just do it to what you have - if compression is good you dont need a new engine just some new lines and gaskets

Old 06-04-2019 | 08:48 AM
Camel Trophy

True is but this motor has some running time. Yes it’s less expensive to contain the leaks but how long could you expect a high miler to keep running well? Also it’s not just a motor but the entire driveline. You tackle the motor but what about the trans, diffs, tc....

SFdisco (06-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Disco1 engine replacement