Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco1 engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 09:42 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SFdisco
Thanks for the advice. I’ve heard that from multiple sources over the years. I wonder if there’s anything that can be done to stiffen up the guard or it’s connection to the chassis. I wonder if a bull bar is less of concern.
Get rid of that old brush guard! I'll come by and help you with the recycling....

Mine was rotted from the inside out and I believe unfixable but I haven't yet left it out for big trash day. Replacing it would cost more than I paid for the truck. They just don't look as good without the accessories IMHO. I try not to be about the looks, but c'mon!

As of a couple months ago, there were a couple pretty fresh D1s at the Richmond pick-n-pull. They're not listed anymore but I can't imagine they're picked clean yet. Definitely no accessories like a brush guard but you could probably get a good deal on an engine if you find yourself in that market.

The following users liked this post:
SFdisco (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 11:02 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jvarnadoe
I spayed my brushguard with Plasti-Dip. It looked great, but 4 years later it finally succumbed to the elements and rusted through from the inside. The passenger side mount broke off completely. Hopefully yours is in better shape and will hold up.

It took me a while to get used to seeing old Indy without it.
Please let me know if you sprayed over the existing coating. Also did you prep the chipped areas. Thanks.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:07 AM
Mudding
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I removed the brushguard, scrubbed the worst areas with a wire brush, applied Naval Jelly, sprayed it with flat black Rustoleum paint, and then used 3-4 spray cans of Plasti-Dip. The issue is that you can't get inside the tubing, which is where the majority of the rusting happens, to apply rust remover and paint so it rusts from the inside out.

The following users liked this post:
SFdisco (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 02:19 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jvarnadoe
I removed the brushguard, scrubbed the worst areas with a wire brush, applied Naval Jelly, sprayed it with flat black Rustoleum paint, and then used 3-4 spray cans of Plasti-Dip. The issue is that you can't get inside the tubing, which is where the majority of the rusting happens, to apply rust remover and paint so it rusts from the inside out.
Understood. Thank you very much.