Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery 1 Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011 | 05:31 AM
|
Overlanding
Default Discovery 1 Transmission problems

Okay so i pulled into Walmart, when I came out I put the car in reverse backed out and put it into drive and would not go anywhere. I could not get it from that point to go anywhere. i could put it into drive neutral reverse and you could hear it clicking into gear but it would not move. I took it to the shop but it was one who does not specialize in trans, i cant afford to have it rebuilt, is it really transmission problems or could it be something easier....HELP!

Old 09-27-2011 | 06:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Check fluid level? Maybe knocked cdl in nuetral?

Old 09-27-2011 | 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

1. Get used to driving and looking for pull thru parking, or spaces that incline back, so you can roll back in "N". This will allow use of vehicle while you save up a fruit jar for repairs. That's if "R" does not work. If "D" does not work, on any range (123) and transfer case is engaged, and fluid is normal, then unless you can make repairs you are stuck. If you have shifting problems sometimes fluids like Lucas tansmission fix can increase pressure in the system and keep you going for a little while (sometimes 30 - 70K miles, depending on problems). But if you have not had any problems up until now (jerking, hard shifting, slipping) then tranny fluid and filter may be all you'll need. Would be worth your time to have a real tranny shop eyeball it. Don't go to a national chain. Find a local indy shop. Trannys usually start "talking to ya" well in advance of quitting. Now were you listening?

2. Check out some of these links:

http://www.europeantransmissions.com....BMW/92-12.pdf

ZF 4HP22 repair / rebuild info

ZF RWD Transmissions ZF4HP22, ZF4HP24 Makco Transmission Parts

3. Tranny repair, while not for the un-informed, is routinely performed by ordinary guys with 10 fingers. They are known to drink beer, enjoy sports on wide screen TV, beautiful horses and fast women, and when needed can sear a steak to perfection.

4. Another option is to get a used tranny and swap it out. Salvage yards near me get $99 - $125 and offer a very slight warranty. Disamntlers can get you a better one.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-27-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-27-2011 | 07:14 AM
|
Overlanding

What is a cdl? Okay guys Im a single mother of two or does not work on vehs. How hard is it to repalce the trans filter, and the fluid was very low, filled it up but still wouldnt go, let it set overnight and still would go.

Old 09-27-2011 | 08:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

mkae sure this is in the bottom right corner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSTn2...layer_embedded

Old 09-27-2011 | 08:17 AM
|
Overlanding

is that off or in high?

Old 09-27-2011 | 08:17 AM
|
Overlanding

should it be in lock or off

Old 09-27-2011 | 08:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Bottom right is 4 wheel hi unlocked. THats where you want it for normal driving conditions. you want it snugged into the bottom right corner with no lights on the dash and no beeping going on, those things would mean it's not properly engaged

Old 09-27-2011 | 08:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If the CDL is properly engaged, and the tranny fluid is topped off and you still only have reverse, i'd hate to tell you this but you may have blown the trans. Lots of times when transmissions go, they only lose the forward drive gears, so you can still move em around in reverse. i HOPE thats not the case

Old 09-27-2011 | 08:47 AM
|
Overlanding

I cant put it into reverse either it will go into reverse no movement and dfrive no movement it will not drive at all

Quick Reply: Discovery 1 Transmission problems