Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery Sweat. (oil/fluid that is...)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014 | 12:57 PM
|
4wd Low
Default Discovery Sweat. (oil/fluid that is...)

So I'm learning fast after doing my due diligence in researching my project Discovery that Land Rovers are known to be leakers. I seriously used 5 cans of engine degreaser and several hours of time with the pressure washer knocking all the built up oi, grease and mud off the undercarriage and motor so as to get a good visual of where it's seeping.

The good thing is, it's not leaving any spots on the driveway concrete, so it's not that bad. But the mechanic side of me isn't fond of having any type of leak. I've got the 4.0L V8 and am surprised that this little motor leaks more than an old, big block 454.

Has anyone had any luck getting these things sealed up? Or am I just going to have to get used to a monthly degreasing? If you have had luck sealing your up, which particular brand of gaskets did you use (because the OEM gaskets certainly aren't cutting it).

Old 07-22-2014 | 01:33 PM
Mudding

Reseal kit from Rovers North and the proper sealer that they sale. I did it and have not had a leak in almost a year. Added bonus if you know any thing about B.L you will know they were on strike most of the time and there craftsmanship and detail were bad as Jeremy Clarkson said they were built by a bunch of midlanders with a that will do attitude. I have worked on and rebuilt some disco's and rrc's that have never been touched and you could remove some bolts by hand and some you could flick off. Check you torque spec's when going back together and you will be fine.

Old 07-22-2014 | 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

my current truck was a bit of a leaker. It took me a couple of weeks to chase them all down and repair. the chase is the hard part. valve cover leak was repaired with a tightening. tranny pan had some loose and broken fasteners, changed filter and gasket, made some new fastener clips. return hose on power steering had a pin hole, replaced it. recently I took a short cut on a tcase drip. I added some of that "bottle of magic" blue devil stuff. much to my surprise and joy, it worked. I am once again driving a dripless disco. I found that glow in the dark uv additive junk made the search much quicker. easiest course of action is to fix them when you find them, don't let them cause build up and goose chase. I use oem or cheap proline gaskets, usually from rn.

Last edited by dusty1; 07-22-2014 at 02:12 PM.