Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Dislocation Cones

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dislocation Cones

I've read a few heated debates on dislocation cones but none that were D1 specific.

I'm only going to be running a TF 2" lift. Sway bars are staying connected. I see no need for Cones, but I also know very little about my new hobby.

Do you guys run them?

I have a mate of mine pushing them on me.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

2" and sway bars on? I don't think you'd ever need em. Save your money

Old 06-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been wondering the same thing. Except I'm going to be running long travel shocks with no sways. Kinda worried about a rear spring dropping out

Old 06-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Maybe Longhaul could help. He rocks em but has an unreasonable amount of travel. He might know at what length you need em and what you don't. His setup is absurd though. I say this because I am jealous.

Name:  e7116e99.jpg
Views: 3262
Size:  89.4 KB

Old 06-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OP with 2" and swaybars would never need them. Without sway bars and a 2" lift, you might want spring retainers but would not likely need them and would not need cones.

If you have springs for a 3" lift and over (not 3" lift by way of body or spring spacers), and you are driving over terrain that actually articulates the suspension, you will want spring retainers. Whether you use cones as well or not seems to be the subject of debate. I don't have enough experience to add anything. If you have that much travel, you might call RTE and ask why they sell cones as well as retainers. To make money off of posers? I don't know, maybe they have a better answer.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Mudding

What kind of spring is that in the picture at the bottom? Is that some sort of home-brew progressive setup? With that much travel, why wouldn't you use coilovers? Seems to make more sense.

And why is the sway bar link and joint still on there?

Old 06-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by nevada ben
What kind of spring is that in the picture at the bottom? Is that some sort of home-brew progressive setup? With that much travel, why wouldn't you use coilovers? Seems to make more sense.

And why is the sway bar link and joint still on there?

Those are X-springs sold by X-engineering in the bottom of that pick. The only reason im not running coilovers is I'd loose my back seat to custom make mounts. And im lazy and havent torched the mounts off yet for the sway bar.

As far as cone vs no cone you wont need them unless youre running long travel shocks and personally im against them unless you have a very balanced suspension (10" travel front and rear for example). If its not balanced front and rear it makes for very bad handleing on off camber situations.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Boom. The suspension guru speaketh.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by turf63
Boom. The suspension guru speaketh.
Im no expert at these suspensions but ive had 6 different lift setups on the green truck I know what works and doesnt work for where I run at. After messing with the green one so mutch I know how to build the red one, and I can say that the springs are going to be retained with 3" lift and long travel shocks. It mite not have the "WOW" factor or poser look but itll go where SHE wants it to go and still be a daily driver.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:36 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Haul

Im no expert at these suspensions but ive had 6 different lift setups on the green truck I know what works and doesnt work for where I run at. After messing with the green one so mutch I know how to build the red one, and I can say that the springs are going to be retained with 3" lift and long travel shocks. It mite not have the "WOW" factor or poser look but itll go where SHE wants it to go and still be a daily driver.
Think she would drive over and explain to my wife why I need a lift...?

Quick Reply: Dislocation Cones