Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Distributor Replacement Time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 07:47 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Distributor Replacement Time?

Started up the Disco this morning. Was idling warming up no problem. I put her into reverse and she suddenly died. Checked under the hood and distributor appeared to be twisted a bit as spark plug wires were in unusual placement. I grabbed a picture of the dizz. Is this repairable or need to replace?

Old 02-22-2021, 10:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Damn! Ruined. I suppose you could attempt to patch the housing, but then you have to deal with any damaged internals... all I would say is a waste of time.

A new one is for sale on DWeb: https://discoweb.org/index.php?threa...new-200.99638/

Old 02-23-2021, 09:18 AM
4wd Low

Yeah I figured that’s not what it looked like before. Ordered a used one that didn’t cannibalize itself.

anyone got a link to another thread for installing? I checked the RAVE. Not much info in there other than timing spec of 6 degrees BTDC and to not have the AC running when setting the timing 🥴

Old 02-23-2021, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I personally set it at 9 BTDC, but yes start by putting it at 6 BTDC and see how it runs, 9 is usually the sweet spot from what I've seen.

The following users liked this post:
LipLounge (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 12:07 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the info. My engine is filthy, having trouble finding the TDC indicator amongst all of the accessory parts. Looks like it should be somewhere behind the radiator fan and below the alternator. Got any pictures of what I should clean off so I can get install dizzy properly?

Old 02-24-2021, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Nut that secures the dizzy is down below the dizzy you'll see the plate which holds it into place. Then unplug the plug, vacuum line, and pop the cap off. I've just marked the Dizzy position as it sits, rotor position, then the outer casing by the plate. Match up replacement & secure it.

Old 02-25-2021, 11:16 AM
4wd Low

Thanks. I'll give it a....spin?

Old 03-02-2021, 01:24 PM
4wd Low

The dizzy gear broke in half. I fished the two halves out and a tiny piece out with telescoping magnet. There are a few tiny pieces still inside somewhere and the magnet can't reach. Common sense tells me I need to get even the smallest pieces out of there before I install new dizzy. Please advise.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I would agree you should try to get all of the gear out of there before starting it back up... You could also take this opportunity to take off the timing cover and change out your oil pump gears, timing chain, and front oil seal. You'll be able to directly access that space where the gear parts fell into. Just did this job and it was surprisingly less painful than I thought. I'd day it took 6 hours of hands on time. Maybe another 2 hours planning and ordering parts.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:52 PM
4wd Low

Ordered a couple kits from Atlantic British to keep up with maintenance schedule that needed to be done anyways. The dizzy spun out of it's correct placement when it broke so I wasn't able to mark it's position as a reference; looks like I'll have to do the official timing setup. Wish me luck. Any tips for this job?

Quick Reply: Distributor Replacement Time?