Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Do you think I need a lift on my disco 1 98 model

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Gas
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think I need a lift on my disco 1 98 model

Dear Disco fans, need your help I am a still new learner to Disco. Solved few recent issues coolant and radiator, petrol leakage and vent tube, front pulley seal change. Put up new tyers a bit bigger than stock 265/70/16 30.7 inch height which brought the car 1.5 inch approximately but been obliged to trim the rear fenders by a camel cutt. Now I dedected that the steering track rod end threads need to be replaced as it is loose and worn out but thought while I will do that job should as well change the stock shocks and springs suspensions . Please note I intend to use the car mainly for desert offroading on mainly sand now I feel the car is bottoming down when trying to overcome a long hill climb . By the way I am not planing to overload any heavy accessories in front or back bumper will keep it as is no winsh needed in desert. Went through plenty of threads but couldn't find the answer any help please should I go for stock replacement or have some more wheel hub with a 2 inch lift. Without affecting car performance . I read that OME has a good kit 2 inch that will lift 1.5-1.7 inch only as well as the Iron men . Yet what about TF 201 kit from terra Irma ? Any other recommendation . Some illustration photos on the car for your review and judgement:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/me...-98-model-507/

Thanking you for your urgent support !!!

Old 07-06-2011, 03:59 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why is your Disco "bottoming down" when going up a hill? What is "bottoming down"?

In answer to whether you need a lift or not, only you can decide that. It is your vehicle. Do YOU want a lift?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

More so, what do you plan on doing with your rover? Hardcore rock wheeling? Dirt roads? Mud? Answer these before deciding on a lift.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Your old suspension is so warn out, you need a lift just to get back to it's original height when new.
Triming is a huge mistake, you have just set your self up for a lot of rust in the future.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Gas
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Why is your Disco "bottoming down" when going up a hill? What is "bottoming down"?

In answer to whether you need a lift or not, only you can decide that. It is your vehicle. Do YOU want a lift?
Dear Chris,

This happens like a rubbing noise between maybe the back tyers and the wheel hub when more pressure and torque are applied on the back wheels while on a hill climb and as well when you drive over short spaced down and ups even maybe humps. It is not too bad but it is there along with some squeaking noise on turns on low speed or gravel road!!! . Shocks I presume are still working fine!

Regards,

Gas

Old 07-07-2011, 02:49 AM
Gas
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Your old suspension is so warn out, you need a lift just to get back to it's original height when new.
Triming is a huge mistake, you have just set your self up for a lot of rust in the future.

Dear Mike,

I do agree with you regarding the wind noise that is happening now mainly on high speed and on highway. Regarding Rust, it is very rare that rains here in the United Arab Emirates and I might apply full Rust Proofing on all wheel hubs , I think this will protect for a while.

Yet is it recommended the lift or just change the Spring coils with a new ones OEM the HD ones same height and size. (Britparts) I have heard from a friend that he ordered a slightly higher ones and it fits ok with same OEM shocks. What do you think. I am not looking for the height really as my 265/70/16 had given me 1.5 inch clearance compared to stock tyers. So an additional 1-to 1.5 inch maximum from current status is more than enough.

Looking for advise!

Old 07-07-2011, 03:55 AM
Gas
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
More so, what do you plan on doing with your rover? Hardcore rock wheeling? Dirt roads? Mud? Answer these before deciding on a lift.

Dear ColoDisco,

As mentioned in my initial thread , my Disco will be used mainly on Desert and very soft sand dunes sometime it is very tricky and high sometimes is short and steep, with some very few crawling (rocky areas) during pleasant winter times! So the existing ground clearance i found it excellent just need to stop the bottoming down on sandy drives.

Regards,

Ghassan

Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it were me, I would get the medium duty lift kit with new shocks. That should cover everything you want/need. While you are at it, get the longer stainless braided brake hoses. Then you can be worry free while cruising the desert, have the clearance you need/want and have a great looking rig.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Gas
Overlanding

Thank you Chris for the advise. Yet I have changed lately the Track Rod End Threads. (4 Peices) 3 RH and 1 LH. Went for balancing wheels again. but I have a bit of loose steering wheel (i.e. you can wable the steering a bit to left and right of the center position but nothing happens and that is irritating . What is the remidy to get rid of that. Do they need to tighten the steering wheel main knot or bolt???