Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Door is being stubborn

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Door is being stubborn

My door on my Disco is being stubborn on cold days. At first I thought it was the door seals sticking to the metal frame but after looking closer the little latch that releases off the metal stub does not release all the way when I try to open the door from the outside. It works if I open the door from the inside though. Can I just spray the latch with PB Blaster or something or is this a more in-depth problem?

Update: if I pull the handle and push the door and pull it opens, but this gets frustrating especially since touching the door makes my hand numb haha

Old 12-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you should be greasing all door latches, hood latches etc. i do the hinges and all. use a silicone based lube.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:41 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this sounds so familiar mine are like that have always been that way just assumed that was how they are

Old 12-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine started doing that and I got the new PB50 Spray Lubricant and stuck the red straw in the area behind the handle and sprayed a bit. It works great now.

I also sprayed from the inside handle area to get the internal linkage real good and sprayed the latch area as well. That stuff is awesome lubricant and does not have the nasty smell of the PB Blaster.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My doors(rear and front pass) are actin up too, the rear I have to turn the key and hold as I open. Fix one thing and its another with these trucks. My 4runner has no issues with doors and I put it on its side....Oh well she(disco) has me hooked

Old 12-08-2011, 05:35 PM

Major manufacturing differences betweeen those two beast. Japanese used Statistical Process Control on everything they made. British never heard of it.

If Mr. Toyota had not lied to Congress and tried to hide the problem encountered on the uncommanded wide open throttle problems that caused so many deaths and horrible crashes, I would still have some respect for them.......

I do like the new car his grandson designed and the 86-87 Supra.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Major manufacturing differences betweeen those two beast. Japanese used Statistical Process Control on everything they made. British never heard of it.

If Mr. Toyota had not lied to Congress and tried to hide the problem encountered on the uncommanded wide open throttle problems that caused so many deaths and horrible crashes, I would still have some respect for them.......

I do like the new car his grandson designed and the 86-87 Supra.
90-95s 4runners are tanks, I got my eye on a 03 or 04 disco. Make her my going out truck.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:11 PM

90-95s 4runners are tanks, I got my eye on a 03 or 04 disco. Make her my going out truck.

That sounds fine if you do not have too far to go and don't have to be anywhere at a certain time or day. Otherwise buy two or three of them to improve your odds of making it there.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco

That sounds fine if you do not have too far to go and don't have to be anywhere at a certain time or day. Otherwise buy two or three of them to improve your odds of making it there.
buy two or three of what?

Old 12-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
My door on my Disco is being stubborn on cold days. At first I thought it was the door seals sticking to the metal frame but after looking closer the little latch that releases off the metal stub does not release all the way when I try to open the door from the outside. It works if I open the door from the inside though. Can I just spray the latch with PB Blaster or something or is this a more in-depth problem?

Update: if I pull the handle and push the door and pull it opens, but this gets frustrating especially since touching the door makes my hand numb haha
Had same issue, both front doors. Pull handle, lean in with hip, 'yank' open... Frustration got the better of me, so I removed the inside door panel and adjusted the 'tension' rod and the locking mechanism. RAVE kind of leads you to remove the window regulator, etc. etc. I didn't want to get into that so I enlisted the help of my 11 year old son, hands are much smaller, 'popped' the little attachment loose at the tension and turned clockwise to tighten. both doors open as they should now.

The only difficult or 'tricky' part is removing the interior door panel to access the inside of the handle. Be careful removing the panel as the red panel plastic plugs that hold the panel to the door are brittle. Fortunately I have a panel puller (not sure if that's the technical name or not) so I only damaged a few and was able to 'gorilla glue' them back to the inside of the panel. Oh.. and pay attention to the remote door lock unit.. If installed upside down on one side you will think the rovah has a mind of it's own... All in all (and I was taking my time in no hurry) maybe 45 minutes per door.

Quick Reply: Door is being stubborn