Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Is this the dreaded "Death Wobble"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the dreaded "Death Wobble"?

I was driving to work and was going about 65+ and took a left hand corner and the left front started to hop.I jumped out of the throtle and slowed it down to about 55 and it stopped and i can get up to 70 at times and it wont do it it only does it if I take a turn like that or hit a big bump at that 65+ speed. is this the "death Wobble"?

Old 09-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Drifting

Im not a land rover pro but my 95 has the wobbles. Did your steering wheel "vibrate" left and right or did it just hop? If your truck was just hopping to one side i have no idea.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the best I can and ever heard the death wobble described is it feels like one of your wheels is about to fall off. However I would consider any action in the steering or suspension system that makes you feel like you are about to die (or just temporarily lose control of the vehicle) would carry the same title. My death wobble was the steering wheel would jolt back and forth when I hit a bump or an expansion joint on a highway interchange it would not stop unless you slammed on the brakes and slowed until control was regained. the dash would shimmy and you could hear this through the entire vehicle.

most of the videos don't really show it nearly as bad as it truly is when you are behind the wheel, but type in Death Wobble on you tube, there are some good ones on there. I even saw one with a camera mounted under the truck and you could see the effect of it on the whole system!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5PJimF9RIo

this is a good underneath of a jeep, if you look at the stabilizer trying to absorb it you can see why people think replacing the stabilizer will fix it but its more like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound

and here is a decent video of the drivers view
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScVyn...eature=related
this one kind of reminds me of an old war movie where the pilot is flying through heavy turbulence

although it's pretty scary stuff

Old 09-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the guy in the second video should get an alignment.

I got exactly the same problem, this is exactly the death wobble.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jull
the guy in the second video should get an alignment.
he probably did and that's the reason his steering wheel is not centered.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alignment shops will usually put the steering wheel back straight when they're done. unless I'm mistaken, but it was like that when I was working in a stealership.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Drifting

See mine didn't do the side to side it just hopped up and down then I slowed and it stopped I'm not sure what to make of it. It wasn't the side to side like your talking about although I see why they call it that it would be terrifying to have that happen.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bump steer problem

Blaze98 sounds like a bump steer problem in a fast turn 65mph.
SUV’s with big tires and lifts can’t take high speed corners like a sports car.
Slow down.
On my local highway, I have one turn that is banked the wrong way with washboard bumps.
My van and Cherokee feel the loss of steerage from a balance direction in the turn to some other direction. (balanced oversteer to understeer). If you are not careful you will end up in the ditch.
My 98DI is better when not loaded and proper tire pressure.
High lift jeeps with big tires have this problem big time, slow down

Old 09-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Drifting

Even though I have no lift and normal tires on it? It doesn't just do it in the turn it will do it at that speed when going straight to if I hit a bump. Right around 60 I can feel "something" not grinding but feel some type of resistance then I hit 65+ and that when it will hop in the left hand turn at that speed or going straight when I hit a bump

Quick Reply: Is this the dreaded "Death Wobble"?