Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

The Dreaded Leaking Sunroof, Can It Be Saved?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The Dreaded Leaking Sunroof, Can It Be Saved?

So my front sunroof has developed a lovely leak and I'm not 100% sure how to go about fixing it. I want it to function but I want the leak to go away. It opens and closes just fine but you can see about a 1/16" gap that's maybe 6" wide at the front of the sunroof, right in the middle. It's right between the glass and the seal. If I push down on the sunroof just a tad the gap goes away. Is there a way to adjust the glass to close a little tighter than it does? Would a new seal fix the issue? Or would my best bet be to yank an entire sunroof assembly out of the junkyard next time I go? Between the back door and the sunroof, it's like a tsunami inside when it rains hard, god forbid we go through the car wash with it.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both my sunroofs leaked at the seal. According to pt Schram, ab, and rovers north the seal itself is no longer available. I picked up some gummi phlege (German for rubber care or conditioner) off amazon. Bimmer guys swear by it and ill be damned if it didn't work. I just removed the glass and cleaned it, cleaned the seal and generously applied the gummi phlege and no more leak.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

And for the back door leak one of the Rover techs posted the TSB info on the reseal procedure several months ago. Meanwhle, carry emergency roll of camo duct tape...

Old 03-28-2012, 05:38 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I swear, if this 95 I'm getting has sunroofs in it I'm going to yank them and weld in steel (aluminum?) Ok, maybe not... but I do hate the sunroofs.

The sunroofs on these are worthless. I replaced both of the ones in my 96 with a set from a 2002 d2 that had been wrecked with low miles. They STILL leaked. Since the sunroof assembly is identical to the D2, I find it hard to believe that the seal is no longer made...

Here are a couple places to get it after doing a google...
LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SERIES 1 SUNROOF SEAL (GENUINE) - wapsipurtlandrover

land rover discovery sunroof seal | eBay

Last edited by ngarover; 03-28-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:09 AM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

ngarover Coming back for a second helping!!! Nice!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
ngarover Coming back for a second helping!!! Nice!
Ha! I'm a total glutton for punishment.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by savannah buzz
and for the back door leak one of the rover techs posted the tsb info on the reseal procedure several months ago. Meanwhle, carry emergency roll of camo duct tape...

i saw zebra striped duck tape the other day. Now maybe I can restripe mine.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:02 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
And for the back door leak one of the Rover techs posted the TSB info on the reseal procedure several months ago. Meanwhle, carry emergency roll of camo duct tape...
Tried searching but couldnt find that info on the back door, any idea what the thread was called? Figure I may as well do both at once so I can limit the length of the headache it's going to give me.

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
i saw zebra striped duck tape the other day. Now maybe I can restripe mine.
Haha I have a visual of a Disco covered in Zebra duct tape. Someone on Craigslist recently white trashed out a lawnmower seat with the flame print, guess that stuff is catching on.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts
Old 04-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the link Savannah I'll give that a go and see if it helps the rain storm by the back door. I also ordered some of that gummi pfledge stuff to treat the sunroof seals just for kicks, I'll report back once it gets here and let you all know what happens. The Volvo and BMW guys rave about it stopping leaks and wind noise so it must do something.

Quick Reply: The Dreaded Leaking Sunroof, Can It Be Saved?