Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Drivers door handle fell apart - locked!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Drivers door handle fell apart - locked!

I locked my drivers door the other night with the key - have never had a remote for it- and the cylinder seemed to turn a little differently and something fell into the door! The dash light was blinking, but tried unlocking and nothing - still armed and it didn't unlock the door lock (latch)!!
I had read posts about the need to reprogram if battery was unhooked, etc and with all the possible options, I didn't know what to do. I let it sit for a day and, since my phone was inside also, I unlocked passenger door, popped the hood and pulled the negative cable. After pulling the handle and finding the cam on the lock cylinder that actuates the micro-switch had split in half, so glued it together, lubed everything and going back together tonight.
I believe I have just the central locking with "perimeter" protection, and if I'm reading right, once the battery is hooked back up, it supposedly remembers it's last state - so it should start honking and I could turn it off by unlocking with key in drivers door - can I get an "Amen"? Am I right or could I have other things to think about? Russ

Old 04-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Sounds to me like your pin broke and fell to the floor. There is a pin that goes from the lock cylinder to the lock actuator that is made of cheap pot metal. They run from 25.00 to 85.00(Door lock rod, Discovery 2 - Upgraded part Driver's door lock linkage rod, Land Rover Discovery 2). Or you can do like many forum members and make one from a nail. there are posts on this.

Last edited by Joemamma1954; 04-07-2016 at 08:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XCELLER8 (04-07-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Mudding

No, it was obvious what the problem was - the plastic cam that actuates the X202 switch had split in two (see picture below) and dropped half into the bottom of the door. The grease on everything was quite dry and sticky which was probably the worst of it, along with the need to adjust linkage or replace the spring that I read about, because I have to hold key to the right to be able to open the outer door handle ( or hold up on the lock ****).

Broke in two at the dotted lined...

I would have had it together last night but, I dropped one of the two nylocks that hold the handle in and could not find it anywhere! So, maybe lunchtime or tonight...

But I'm still not 100% about any other problems from my unhooking the battery while the "alarm" was armed... Russ

Old 04-08-2016, 11:23 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
Sounds to me like your pin broke and fell to the floor. There is a pin that goes from the lock cylinder to the lock actuator that is made of cheap pot metal. They run from 25.00 to 85.00(Door lock rod, Discovery 2 - Upgraded part Driver's door lock linkage rod, Land Rover Discovery 2). Or you can do like many forum members and make one from a nail. there are posts on this.
This part is not for, not will it in any way work, on a DI. The door handles couldn't be more different between the DI and the DII.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
This part is not for, not will it in any way work, on a DI. The door handles couldn't be more different between the DI and the DII.
My bad, sorry for the misinformation. Should have looked closer at D1.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:30 PM
Mudding

As an update - the super glue doesn't work! First turn and it fell apart, but I did have another handle for one with burglar alarm and thought I'd look at adapting as it seemed to be a simpler, heavier design. As I got into it, I've realized that the whole central locking /perimeter alarm system is armed /switched by the small switch by the lock cylinder pawl, 2 wires... I see a possibility for a hidden switch, magnetic switch or even remote control. I have yet to look at the schematics, but what are your thoughts? Russ

Old 04-20-2016, 12:15 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Someone on the D90 board needed the same plastic part. Looked everywhere. I had one on a broken handle. FYI, he generously paid me (I told him to send whatever was appropriate) $50 for the two black plastic ring pieces on the back of the handle! I only have complete RRC left front door handles at the moment and they're even more expensive and rare!

Old 04-20-2016, 12:27 PM
Mudding

I just saw a part number on Roverparts.com.au of STC3333 for that "lever cam" as they called it. I would sure like something a bit more positive, as in metal, to actuate something as crucial as this. Still designing, keep you posted... Russ

Old 08-21-2016, 04:58 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The exact same thing happened to me. Have you been able to fabricate something? If so, name your price!

Old 10-29-2016, 11:11 AM
Mudding

Been out of touch for awhile - inspection was expired on Disco, adding a room onto my house for Mom to live w/ us... And, I quite my job at NAPA! - no challenge anymore (almost 50 years selling auto parts!), and you would not believe how little time you have for forums when you don't "work"!
But, I did purchase rotors and calipers before quitting, so that's first to take care of the inspection part - but on the door handle problem, I had picked up the replacement regulator rollers to fix mine and was very impressed with what can be done with the 3D printing process and with my recent Windows 10 upgrade I found the 3D Builder program which got me thinking of making my own "cam" - but, the Windows program is not as intuitive as I would like.
Does anyone know of any easier to follow design programs that I can access, and of course, for free?! Russ

Quick Reply: Drivers door handle fell apart - locked!