Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Driving Fort Lauderdale to Argentina

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:14 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Fort Lauderdale to Argentina

I left Fort Lauderdale, Florida this May 14th in my 1996 Disco I with 132k. Almost three months later I am in San Juan del Sur Nicaragua with 138k. I drove out of Texas into Mexico, headed to the pacific coast. I have two surf boards, a hanglider, and a bunch of stuff (a bunch is an understatement).
I removed the rear seats, built storage boxes that doubles as a bed. I modified the front passenger seat to fold all the way to the dash. I have a piece of plywood that connects from the rear storage box all the way to the dash on the passenger side, giving me about 8 feet of length for sleeping and the full width behind the driver seat. I use 4" memory foam as a mattress and a couple of down pillows. I set up a dual battery system. I had to mover the power steering reservoir and modify the air intake to install the second battery. When I sleep in the truck, I have two 12v fans running all night. I have some auxiliary lighting as well. Sleeps very comfortably in there. I use the silver bubble panels on the window to keep out the light and heat.
I have been to many amazing places and have met incredible people and done incredible things.
My plan was to take 6 months to get to Buenos Aires. I am just finishing month three and I am guessing I am about a third of the was there. I am not rushing.
I have had a few issues with the truck. Initially overheating issues, which I solved with a bit of creativity for the short term. But then I blew off that issue and then I was bit absent minded and it has turned out to a bigger issue. Oil sludge on a few spark plugs, running very poor. I am getting ready to post a thread on that right now.
Don't cry for me Argentina.

Attached Thumbnails Driving Fort Lauderdale to Argentina-dsc01021.jpg  
Old 08-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by osolupo
I left Fort Lauderdale, Florida this May 14th in my 1996 Disco I with 132k. Almost three months later I am in San Juan del Sur Nicaragua with 138k. I drove out of Texas into Mexico, headed to the pacific coast. I have two surf boards, a hanglider, and a bunch of stuff (a bunch is an understatement).
I removed the rear seats, built storage boxes that doubles as a bed. I modified the front passenger seat to fold all the way to the dash. I have a piece of plywood that connects from the rear storage box all the way to the dash on the passenger side, giving me about 8 feet of length for sleeping and the full width behind the driver seat. I use 4" memory foam as a mattress and a couple of down pillows. I set up a dual battery system. I had to mover the power steering reservoir and modify the air intake to install the second battery. When I sleep in the truck, I have two 12v fans running all night. I have some auxiliary lighting as well. Sleeps very comfortably in there. I use the silver bubble panels on the window to keep out the light and heat.
I have been to many amazing places and have met incredible people and done incredible things.
My plan was to take 6 months to get to Buenos Aires. I am just finishing month three and I am guessing I am about a third of the was there. I am not rushing.
I have had a few issues with the truck. Initially overheating issues, which I solved with a bit of creativity for the short term. But then I blew off that issue and then I was bit absent minded and it has turned out to a bigger issue. Oil sludge on a few spark plugs, running very poor. I am getting ready to post a thread on that right now.
Don't cry for me Argentina.
Sounds like a sweet and amazing trip. One that most can only dream of.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sounds awsome....

Sounds awsome...you need to post more pictures.... I think a can of sea foam and a oil and plug change should get you there....

Will keep up on your posts...

Old 08-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats awesome ! make sure you make a stop at hermosa costa rica, good surfing there !! hit up the back yard bar and say hello to nick for me good luck and have a blast !

Old 08-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That sounds absolutely phenominal. I no longer work, and I have been wanting to do a similar trip myself. Take lots of pics and set up an account somewhere that you can link us to so we can enjoy your trip along with you.

Kicking around the beaches of Central and South America in a Discovery sounds like an addiction that I could enjoy. Hope you got a mask, snorkel and fins so you can enjoy some skin diving as well.

I would like to see some pics of the mods you did to the Disco for the sleeping arrangement. I want to do the same type of conversion to mine.

Keep us up to date on your travels. Best wishes to you. Experience as much of the local stuff as you can, there's nothing like it.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Road Trip

That sounds incredible (and your Disco looks just like mine). Hopefully, you can get an internet connection from down there. I would wonder about the gas though. You might need some octane booster and a fuel filter or two. Babblefish is pretty good for translation if you don't speak espanol. You don't have to ford the Panama canal do you ? ;^) Keep up the posts, and good luck !

Old 10-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How was the darien gap, was it as bad as ive heard it is? And what about Columbia, drugs lords running rampant, worry about being kidnapped?

Old 10-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The way Mexico is, security there would be a major concern. And i remember seeing one story about a fellow who rode a BMW motorcycle down the Pacific to the southernmost tip then was heading up the Atlantic side when he was kidnapped by some local Anti-govt freedom fighters. They held him captive for a few weeks, maching him thru the jungles trying to get a ransom demand then finally gave up and turned him over to some Missionaries cause he was almost dead. I forget what country it was.

A gringo in a LandRover may be an attractive target to some. Don't want to sound negative. I would love to do somethig similar myself. I may not want to ever leave down there.

But I would have to take a set or two of my golf clubs to enjoy down there as well.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:36 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

really cool trip! I also would like to see some pics of the mods inside. Any problems finding gas in remote areas? (assuming its a 4.0 and not a diesel)

security: That's my major concern for a trip like this. I think a convoy of 3 or more vehicles would be more safe. If you're doing this on your own you have ballz! Keep us posted when you can.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, it definitely sounds like a great trip. You could be doing a story for Land Rover Magazine! I spent time in Peru, Bolivia and Argentina ...with most of my time being in Brazil. Once you get to Peru or Bolivia you should be fine. There are some amazing roads in the Andes, hope you get a chance to drive them. Lot higher than the Rockies.

Quick Reply: Driving Fort Lauderdale to Argentina