Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Driving on sand dunes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

St. Anthony Sand Dunes, just north of Egin Lakes. They are pretty huge actually.

St. Anthony Sand Dune Guide

Old 05-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Winching
Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Mudding

You actually do not want to air down for sand. You will dig a lot easier if aired down. Other than that there really isn't anything to it.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rover11
You actually do not want to air down for sand. You will dig a lot easier if aired down. Other than that there really isn't anything to it.
dude, I hope your not serious.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Winching

Hmmm... Majority seems to say air down, which makes sense. A hard tire will sink faster, because it has a smaller contact patch.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

THE DUNES LOOK AWESOME, BUT I HATE THE THOUGHT OF BEING JAMMED INTO "CAMPSITES".

Don't want to bog down in that stuff.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
Hmmm... Majority seems to say air down, which makes sense. A hard tire will sink faster, because it has a smaller contact patch.
BINGO. not sure if this guy was being serios but NOT airing down on sand would be dumb.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
THE DUNES LOOK AWESOME, BUT I HATE THE THOUGHT OF BEING JAMMED INTO "CAMPSITES".

Don't want to bog down in that stuff.
Yeah I won't be camping there, lol.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Winching

Okay, so I had a hangup with my sunroof, which has delayed fabricating the dune flag holder, but I stripped the interior and got the sunroof closed, so Saturday is still on.

Here's my next question, high range or low range? I've watched a bunch of videos and done a bunch of reading, and most people say with an automatic to put it in second gear so it won't shift unpredictably. However, I have found significant disagreement over high-range vs. low-range on the transfer case. Some say drive in high range until you get stuck, use low to get out, others say drive in low range until stuck, and use high to get out. What is the consensus among my fellow Disco owners, or is it an open question?

I am planning to air down to between 15 and 20 PSI with the center diff locked. Local club members have said a heavy right foot is required on these dunes, I can imagine so with the steepness. Based on what I know of other conditions, I use high range for snow, ice, and slush, anything above 25 MPH or so, but low range for mud and average trail riding. Basically with snow and ice you have to reduce torque to prevent wheelspin, but with mud it's the wheelspin that allows the tires to clear and gets you through.

My logic say sand will clear easily, and wheel-spin is not desirable, so logically I would try high range. But I also am worried about not having the juice in high range to make it up those hills with my 32s.

If it's a trial-and-error thing you have to adapt depending on the dunes, that makes sense. But if there's a technically correct way of doing it I'd like to learn it.

Anyway, I'll post again after the trip, I hope to get some good pics as well. My main concern is to not roll, my second concern is to not get stuck. Wish me luck on both counts!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

:::jealous:::

have fun man. Def come back with stories of the good kind.

Quick Reply: Driving on sand dunes?