Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine, Auto Transmission, Transfer Case and Axles

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine, Auto Transmission, Transfer Case and Axles

In the "new to me" process of parting out my land rover, im stumped as to what to do about the Engine, Auto Transmission, Transfer Case and Axles. I feel confident that these large components still hold value, potential and plenty of life left - rebuild-able at the very least in worst case scenario. But what do I do with them? Who is most likely to buy these parts off me? And how do I determine the sell value of each of these parts? I contacted roverlandparts but they only buy rovers from "insurance agencies" or some stupid **** like that. Tomorrow Ill contact DAP Enterprise in Vermont and see what they say, but I just wanted to hear from you guys. Any suggestions or known resources that may prove useful to me know? ... I was hoping to make between $2000-3000 for all of them combined: Engine, Auto Transmission, Transfer Case and Axles (Maybe more parts included for same price!). Is this a fair asking price? Ebay sells used parts for well over $3000 EACH!!! Im not looking for hudge profits, just enough to get another used Discovery with a price tag of no more than $4000 but even then that price is pretty high for my current tight budget.

Last edited by ShadowMerchantBC; 06-22-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok now it's coming together...I'd check Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for some basic pricing for T/C, tranny, engine parts etc, again, just as a basic guideline. As for your HID, your guess is as good as mine, how long has it been in? What was the original value? What is today's value new? The delta is there somewhere in between.

Also you're going to be pulling parts, are you going to try and build profit into your labor? Lot's to think about.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by adigerol77
Ok now it's coming together...I'd check Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for some basic pricing for T/C, tranny, engine parts etc, again, just as a basic guideline. As for your HID, your guess is as good as mine, how long has it been in? What was the original value? What is today's value new? The delta is there somewhere in between.

Also you're going to be pulling parts, are you going to try and build profit into your labor? Lot's to think about.
Ill be pulling as much as I can possibly manage (or figure out ) but i may have to have a rover mechanic remove the engine, transfer case, transmission and axles. The personal labor I dedicate to parting out this Discovery will need to compensation or profit! Im looking for purely part value and potential. The main thing i'm concerned with is the price i would have to pay to have a mechanic remove the big parts.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowMerchantBC
Ill be pulling as much as I can possibly manage (or figure out ) but i may have to have a rover mechanic remove the engine, transfer case, transmission and axles.
Do that and all your profit is down the drains. Just pull them yourself. No different than pulling any other engine, tranny, t-case. Start with dropping the drivelines. Then, borrow/buy/rent an engine hoist(cherry picker) and pull the entire drive train out the front in one move. Since you are scrapping the body, remove the radiator and the front clip(by sawzall if need be) so when you lift the drivetrain, you can roll the Disco out from under the drivetrain(might be easier than trying to roll the hoist away from the disco with the drivetrain attached.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

+1. What he said.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Winching

^^^THIS^^^ Unless you want to sell the front bumper

Old 06-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by adigerol77
^^^THIS^^^ Unless you want to sell the front bumper
I'be never used a engine hoist before and I've never removed such a large part in my life. But I'm willing to learn. Have to figure out where I can rent a engine hoist locally though. Have you seen my bumper? Or what's left of it? I'd sell it if someone wanted it but what are the odds?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

It's not as bad as you think it is. Trust me. Cars come apart WAY easier than they go back together. You could take the motor trans out with like four sockets, a sawzall, and a hammer. Drop the front clip, rad, fans etc. Take off all the accessories, water pump etc screw the cherry picker into the front ofthe block, cut the exhaust off, undo all the wires, undo the motor mounts and trans mounts and cross memeber,(undo the drive shafts) and push the car backwards. Tada.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by turf63
It's not as bad as you think it is. Trust me. Cars come apart WAY easier than they go back together. You could take the motor trans out with like four sockets, a sawzall, and a hammer. Drop the front clip, rad, fans etc. Take off all the accessories, water pump etc screw the cherry picker into the front ofthe block, cut the exhaust off, undo all the wires, undo the motor mounts and trans mounts and cross memeber,(undo the drive shafts) and push the car backwards. Tada.
Hmm Autozone has a hoist for $250 without chains. For an extra $40 I could get the needed chains and be on my way. Unfortunately they will not rent the hoist so ill have to buy it. So if moving the vehicle backwards is necessary then ill keep the tire on until the engine is removed. Gotta get used springs though, and ill be buying 2 of the 4 jack stands today. I'll get the other 2 next week.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Winching

Do you or have you looked for any DIY garages in your area? Most charge $10/hr and have all the necessary equip at no added charge.

Quick Reply: Engine, Auto Transmission, Transfer Case and Axles