Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

engine lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine lights

Hey guys! I recently bought a 98 LR discovery. I knew I was going to fix a few things, but I need some help. Recently changed the fuel pump, and now I am moving on to the engine lights on the instrument cluster. I have read that I can go to auto zone and get the codes read. And I will do that tomorrow, but I have no manual for the Disco, so I dont even know where to begin. I guess First I need to know where the access port is in the 98 Disco to plug the code reader in. Then where do I get the code list. Lastly but not least, do I have to go to a dealer to get the codes cleared or can a local mechanic do it. Thanks in advance for the help!!!!! Brian greenbayfan@zoominternet.net

Old 10-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: engine lights

The OBD2 port is down in the lower panel near the steering column. Yes, go have the codes read, then write down the exact 4 didget numbers and get back to us, we can help you with the codes. When they read the codes, they will usually tell you what they stand for, but each code does not mean you have and action to take. many times you'll have 3 to 5 or so codes, but when all is considered, you may only have one problem, so don't worry about a list yet.
Yes, once a part has been replaced, some of the local auto parts stores can and will clear the codes, but lets get you fixed first.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Overlanding

Hey Mike thanks for the help! I went to the local Autozone yesterday and had the codes read on my 98 disco. Two different codes came up on the scanner. They were..........P1447 (showed up twice on the scanner) and P0451 (showed up once on the scanner) I had them clear the codes off the disco and the check engine light went out but the service engine light stayed on. Why is that? Thanks for the help! This forum has been the greatest thing in the world since I took the leap into the Land Rover world. Hopefully in the future I will be as much help to someone as everyone has been to me! Thanks again! Brian

Old 10-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

P1447
Land Rover
Purge Canister Closure Valve Poor Performance

P0451
Generic
Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch Range/Performance

On the service light, behind the passenger side dash, there is a block of relays. The red one is the maintenance reminder and it should have a land rover sticker on it. There is a hole the you can push a paper clip through to reset it. I think there are instructions on www.discoweb.org. Click on the tech tab and look to the left for service light reset or something similar...It is just a reminder that tells you to check your emissions system. Goes off with mileage...

Old 10-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Looks like you got the good advice you were looking for.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the advice! As for the instructions they seem simple to turn out the service engine light, Now on to the codes. They came up for a reason what do they mean.? I know what you told me the codes mean, but is there something that needs fixed or replaced? or are they also something that come up with mileage?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure what would throw them. Check all of the emissions crap and hoses on your pass side in the engine bay. Look for cracked hoses and loose connections. If the codes come back, someone may know what to look for...

Old 10-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator

You'll need to start with a new purge valve, not an expensive item and easy to inst, this may correct both issues.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Overlanding

thanks for the info guys! And now for my next stupid question......Where in the engine compartment might i find a purge valve

Old 09-13-2010, 08:52 AM
Overlanding

Does this also work for Range Rovers? Does it have the same emissions maintenance box that must be reset? If so, is it located in the same place (passenger kick panel)?

Quick Reply: engine lights