Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine missing/bogging while driving at 2000rpm!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine missing/bogging while driving at 2000rpm!?!

engine misses like crazy around 2000rpm and wont let me go over 60... its intermittent..... then all of a sudden truck drives fine... then does it again and if i try to floor it, it just misses and slows down. idles fine and gets up to 50 fine if i go really light on the gas pedal....anything more than that then it misses and bogs out... im thinking maybe fuel pump/ distributor, or maybe bad gas since it sat for 2 years in a garage??? i just put new gas in it and maybe it stirred it up a bit im not sure.. if anyone else has had a similar problem let me know
thanks alot

Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

damn... 2 years and your wondering bad gas?!!!

Old 10-22-2010, 02:50 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by booper169
engine misses like crazy around 2000rpm and wont let me go over 60... its intermittent..... then all of a sudden truck drives fine... then does it again and if i try to floor it, it just misses and slows down. idles fine and gets up to 50 fine if i go really light on the gas pedal....anything more than that then it misses and bogs out... im thinking maybe fuel pump/ distributor, or maybe bad gas since it sat for 2 years in a garage??? i just put new gas in it and maybe it stirred it up a bit im not sure.. if anyone else has had a similar problem let me know
thanks alot
What year? How many miles?

Old 10-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Three Wheeling

1998, 260km

Old 10-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Mudding

Change fuel filter and check the fuel pressure.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Do you have any check engine light on, do you have any fault code numbers? If not fuel I would say a bad XYZ switch on the tranny is very possible.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Three Wheeling

ok i ordered a fuel filter and im changing it tomorrow.... could A filter be intermittent tho?
whats a xyz switch and can it be clean??
also the maf sensor is the one on the intake tube or throttle body?

I also used my code reader and got these codes... any ideas?

p0130- 02 sensor circuit malfunction
p0133- 02 sensor circuit slow response
p0150- 02 sensor circuit malfunction
p0300- random/ multiple cylinder misfire detected
p0340- Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction
p1172- rotor control
p1316- IDM codes detected

spark plugs?
can o2 sensor be cleaned?

Old 10-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Do you have any check engine light on, do you have any fault code numbers? If not fuel I would say a bad XYZ switch on the tranny is very possible.

How can i test the switch?

Old 10-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Mudding

ok i ordered a fuel filter and im changing it tomorrow.... could A filter be intermittent tho?
whats a xyz switch and can it be clean??
also the maf sensor is the one on the intake tube or throttle body?

I also used my code reader and got these codes... any ideas?

p0130- 02 sensor circuit malfunction
p0133- 02 sensor circuit slow response
p0150- 02 sensor circuit malfunction
p0300- random/ multiple cylinder misfire detected
p0340- Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction
p1172- rotor control
p1316- IDM codes detected

spark plugs?
can o2 sensor be cleaned?
O2 can't be cleaned. Might cure it for a few starts but it won't fix the problem. MAF is the one on the intake tube. When you clean (carb cleaner) it make sure it is dried out real good before installing and running it and don't use high pressure air on it. That camshaft position sensor could be your culprit. It will run with that being bad but not very good. Not sure if there is a way to ohm out the sensor or not but someone might chime in with a proceedure for it. I think they are relatively cheap so that could be a good place to start. Plugs are easy and cheap. I'd change them if it's been a while since they've been changed. Then reset your codes and run it and see if it's changed and if any other codes pop back up.

Last edited by jbriggs; 10-24-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:13 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

thanks alot
You do NOT have a XYZ switch on your truck because you have a DI and the transmission has no electrics at all unlike a DII transmission.

You need a new VSS (vehicle speed sensor), it is the speed limiter for the truck and kills spark one cylinder at a time to slow you down if you are going to fast.
When it starts to fail it will think you are speeding and kills spark to the engine.
Thats why you have multiple cylinder mis fire codes as well as you cant go over 50.
Replace the VSS, clear the codes and then drive it and I bet you will be fine.
And as for the stale gas, buy a big bottle of fuel stabilizer and add that to the tank and then top it back off and run until the low fuel light comes on.
Then you are going to want to run good gas and a couple bottles of injector cleaner in the next tank of fuel.

http://discoweb.org/vss/index.htm

Quick Reply: Engine missing/bogging while driving at 2000rpm!?!