Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fan Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 10:59 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fan Noise?

Hey Team,
Not sure how loud all of your D1s are but mine screams everywhere it goes. It sounds like a cyclone under the hood under acceleration; definitely related to RPM. No CEL, just noise.
I tried to take a recording of the noise but nothing is discernible on my phone. Listening to it, it sounds like a bunch of wind or just general air moving under the hood. It's coming form the front of the engine: fan, belt, a/c.. not sure.
The strange thing about it is that sometimes it goes away after the engine warms up. most times not. When it does sporadically go away it sounds like a nice mellow v8. As far as I can tell there is no loss of power between quiet and noisy mode.
Temp gauge sits comfortably below midpoint even when sitting in traffic (recent radiator, waterpump, fan clutch, and hoses).
A bit about my truck: it's a 96 SE7, 147k miles. about 300 miles on a headgasket, timing, cam/pushrod/lifter job. I previously had some misfiring but after a plug and wire change the misfiring doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.
I'd really like my truck to sound nicer, does anyone have any input? thanks in advance

Old 02-16-2018, 11:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

what did you buy for a fan clutch ?.......some of the "will fits" are actually a little heavy duty and will make more noise ....personal experience.....

Old 02-17-2018, 08:33 AM
Drifting

Bought the fan clutch from AB. Bought pretty much everything from AB or Lucky8
the thing that’s so strange to me is that the noise sometimes goes away after warm up. It also stays away after shut off and restart if the engine is still warm

Old 02-17-2018, 09:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Faulty fan clutch, return it for another. It's engaged when it shouldn't be. Your fuel mileage will suffer and there is a chance your fan will grenade not to mention the added stress to the water pump shaft bearing. Once your motor is warm you'll hear it when taking off from a stop and then it will fade to nothing, that should be the only time you hear it besides cold starts and initial take off.

The following users liked this post:
bowser (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 10:26 AM
Drifting

Excellent, thank you for the advice.
It looks like Lucky8 has a $60 option and a $120 option; I went with the $60 obviously. Does anyone know what the difference is? I'm thinking I should pop for the $120 now that the cheaper one has failed me.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Go with the better one, it's your cooling system and we all know where that leads..

Old 02-23-2018, 08:16 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI... In case someone is getting cheap with their landy's DO NOT buy a fan clutch from auto zone.. I tried 3 - one never engaged and 2 never disengaged..
A better one for 90 bucks from germany is now starting to fail me next (off and on at unusual temps)
seems like everything is sh*t nowadays

Old 02-27-2018, 03:54 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I am under the understanding that this normal for a viscous fan clutch. The noise going away when it warms up might not be because its warm but because the viscous fluid in the clutch itself has dispersed disengaging the clutch and turning the fan off. When the temperature rises the clutch is then reengaged until the temperature drops below an acceptable level. The noise when the clutch is engaged VS not is as obvious as you describe. If you are off road or in traffic on a warm day you will hear the fan engage and disengage as you speed up and slow down cooling and heating the motor. Am I wrong about this? My fan clutch is brand new and I don't have issues cooling but it does exactly what is described by bowser. The other thing to do would be to convert to an electric fan set-up but you will still hear the fans kick on and off.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:53 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crunkgringo
I am under the understanding that this normal for a viscous fan clutch. The noise going away when it warms up might not be because its warm but because the viscous fluid in the clutch itself has dispersed disengaging the clutch and turning the fan off. When the temperature rises the clutch is then reengaged until the temperature drops below an acceptable level. The noise when the clutch is engaged VS not is as obvious as you describe. If you are off road or in traffic on a warm day you will hear the fan engage and disengage as you speed up and slow down cooling and heating the motor. Am I wrong about this? My fan clutch is brand new and I don't have issues cooling but it does exactly what is described by bowser. The other thing to do would be to convert to an electric fan set-up but you will still hear the fans kick on and off.
Mine never turns off, even cruising on cold days it's always engaged. It does disengage but only sporadically.
Faulty fan clutch makes sense to me; otherwise it would have to need to be engaged as often as it is. If it's not a bad clutch what else would cause constant engagement of the clutch? maybe air in the line? my coolant levels are normal, no leaks anywhere and temp gauge always sits below midpoint. I have a replacement coming in within the next couple of days, I'll update once installed.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:59 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Never shutting off would be a problem. The clutch is probably bad then. But when my clutch is engaged it is LOUD. The temperature of the ambient air under the hood/coming from the radiator is what engages and disengages the clutch. Your truck doesn't have to over heat to start that fan spinning. Also at freeway/highway speeds the clutch should disengage, the thought there being that the air coming into the radiator at speed would be far greater than fan pull.

Last edited by Crunkgringo; 02-27-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Fan Noise?