Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

filling swivel balls

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default filling swivel *****

I checked my right swivel ball today and added about half a quart of GL5 80W90 at the plug with the 1/2" square that is just under the brake line and I filled it up to the plug hole. The RAVE says calacity is .375 quarts but mine took half a quart. I googled photos of the level plug and I think I am using the right level hole. Obviously mine was empty, but what gives on the capacity? Do you fill it to the bottom of the hole?

Google pic attached - I have that square plug but no drian plug on the bottom.

Attached Thumbnails filling swivel balls-swivel_oil_level.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

No yours like mine uses 00 grease not oil , expect leaks now

Old 03-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
No yours like mine uses 00 grease not oil , expect leaks now
If it doesn't leak.......it's not a Rover. Yep, no drain plug means greased. Believe me, the oil isn't going to hurt anything although you overfilled them, probably loves it. Any excess will just go past the axle seal into the third (good but might see a pinion seal leak) if it doesn't come out of the swivel ball seal first. Capacity is .75 pint per swivel which is .375 of a quart, no need to go with more. I have an early 97, no grease for me..... There are actually three plugs (most folks miss the level plug) - a fill plug (top), level plug (middle), and a drain plug (lowest) on oil filled swivels...... The level plug is a beyotch to remove.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
If it doesn't leak.......it's not a Rover. Yep, no drain plug means greased. Believe me, the oil isn't going to hurt anything although you overfilled them, probably loves it. Any excess will just go past the axle seal into the third (good but might see a pinion seal leak) if it doesn't come out of the swivel ball seal first. Capacity is .75 pint per swivel which is .375 of a quart, no need to go with more. I have an early 97, no grease for me..... There are actually three plugs (most folks miss the level plug) - a fill plug (top), level plug (middle), and a drain plug (lowest) on oil filled swivels...... The level plug is a beyotch to remove.
Interesting! If it had grease there must not have been a lot in there given the amount of oil they took - about a pint each. The level plugs did not look like they had ever been removed - lots of caked dirt and sharp edges under the dirt - but they came out easily with a 1/2" 8 point socket.

There is a hex head on the very top. Is that the fill plug? I doubt I could suck much oil back out so I guess I'll just have to watch for leaks. And just when I had most of the engine oil leaks stopped and no pools underneath.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:03 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts
The following users liked this post:
philwarner (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 01:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Quick method for draining the swivels.......remove the lower swivel pin, aint nothin as quick. Um, have the axle on a jack stand by the way........ tire off.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes, that did help. So...my swivel pin housings have a fill plug and no level plug and I filled it up to the fill plug. If it had grease in it should it have already been filled with grease? Or is there a certain amount of grease that is put in?

Should I try to suck some EP 90 out? Not sure if that is even possible. Will it blow seals if I drive it full?

Old 03-22-2015, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Since it is severely oiverfilled. It will build pressure and go somewhere , leak into axle housing, leak out the swivel seals, get into wheel bearings

They sell one shot packs for the grease or buy 00 grease from lawnmower shop

It is basicly 50/50 mix bearing grease and gear oil

Scouts probly knows amount

Old 03-23-2015, 06:04 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes, there is a specific amount for grease;
as stated it is sold in single size portions or large volumes.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TOM R
Since it is severely oiverfilled. It will build pressure and go somewhere , leak into axle housing, leak out the swivel seals, get into wheel bearings

They sell one shot packs for the grease or buy 00 grease from lawnmower shop It is basicly 50/50 mix bearing grease and gear oil Scouts probly knows amount
The good news is that you can suck the grease out of the swivel housings by turning the housing out as far as it will go and using a small hose on a big syringe; there were 22 Ozs in there instead of the 12 Oz spec.

The bad news is that the local auto shops don't carry 00 grease and I have to go to TSC for something called "Super S Cotton Picker Spindle Grease 00". Oh well, it is a beautiful day today and a good excuse to get the Triumph America out of the shed for a nice ride; Just hope I remember how - it's been a long winter.

Quick Reply: filling swivel balls