Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Final decision Hankook AT-M or BFG Rugged Terrain

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Final decision Hankook AT-M or BFG Rugged Terrain

I got my Discovery back with the lift & bushings installed, now I'm hung on a tire choice. I think I've narrowed it down to the 245/75/16 Hankook AT-M or the BFG Rugged Terrain. In this case, price is not as much an issue as serviceability, so I'm hoping there is an opinion or two here that will help. I use the Disco as a daily driver (100 miles a day), and part of that is through a National Forest in the "snow belt" of PA where you can get a few feet of snow in a few hours, and then highway. I do some trail riding, hunting & fishing on the weekends, but it's the daily drive where I must make the decision. I will take alternative recommendations if I'm heading in the wrong direction here Thanks!!

Old 10-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I use my Disco II mostly on highway, some light/ moderate offroading, and snow when it happens, and I've been pretty happy with my Hankook Dynapro ATm's. I just mounted my 2nd set actually, but only because I managed to pick up nails in the un-pluggable zone on two tires.

I don't have experience with the BFG's, but I've heard good things.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the BFG AT 235/85/16. They are pretty quiet and so far are pretty great. (I've only put on 1000 miles MAYBE though). I ride some trails over at Hawk Pride Mountain and it does pretty well.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Goodyear DuraTrac. One of the most agressive AT tires you'll find yet still has VERY good road manners. Very good in the snow, too. 30,000 miles on mine when I sold them and still had 60% tread left, and that included a LOT of off road miles.

*I sold them to move up to a 35" mud tire on my trail rig.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,236 Posts

I remember when your truck was stock lol....

The DuraTrac's are a good option, but my first love will always be the BFG AT's

I think you would find the BFG Rugged trails a bit lacking on a snow filled forestry trail.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I remember when your truck was stock lol....

The DuraTrac's are a good option, but my first love will always be the BFG AT's

I think you would find the BFG Rugged trails a bit lacking on a snow filled forestry trail.
Me too!!!!
The DuraTracs are like the BFG AT on steroids.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,236 Posts

True they are, but the BFG's are a classic to me and have always got the job done.

Either way you can't go wrong with the duratracks or the BFG AT.

Well my 110 is still mostly stock just need to button up a few more things this weekend in the driveway and she should be back on the road.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 10-24-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I was in the tire industry for 13 years. I do like the BFG A/t and have run it on many a truck. I had Rugged Trails (before the name and tread redesign). They are really a glorified car tire. Still good but lack in off road traction. I honestly don't run BFG or Michelin tire any more because of the cracking issues they have. Ive had 2 blow outs in my life and both were BFG A/T only a couple years old. Being my store was an authorized BFG center, I saw lots and lots of warranty issues. Dont get me wrong. They are a good tire. But honestly for the money their are some better alternatives

My experience w Hankook is limited. I had some of their car tires and they were great.

Honestly the tire of choice for me for true dual purpose is the General Grabber At2. Its a 55k tire and they are very quite for what they are. They have excellent offroad traction. Ive had them in 33's 31's 35's 235/75/15 on an old ford beater and they are currently on my Rover in a 245/75/16. This time I opted for the 10 ply. I honestly love them and have zero complaints.

I have had Yokahoma ATS as well on a few trucks and they are excellent but lean more towards on road. Off road was still good but it wasn't as sure footed as the Grabbers in the mud. So tjis might be a better choice for you if you do more on road driving.

This was my Suburban on the Grabbers. I forget if it was the 33's or 35's. This truck had both. But it was so much smoother then the Goodyear junk I took off.

Name:  IMG_546779688846003_zps97c313be.jpg
Views: 2189
Size:  46.2 KB

Old 10-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
I was in the tire industry for 13 years. I do like the BFG A/t and have run it on many a truck. I had Rugged Trails (before the name and tread redesign). They are really a glorified car tire. Still good but lack in off road traction. I honestly don't run BFG or Michelin tire any more because of the cracking issues they have. Ive had 2 blow outs in my life and both were BFG A/T only a couple years old. Being my store was an authorized BFG center, I saw lots and lots of warranty issues. Dont get me wrong. They are a good tire. But honestly for the money their are some better alternatives

My experience w Hankook is limited. I had some of their car tires and they were great.

Honestly the tire of choice for me for true dual purpose is the General Grabber At2. Its a 55k tire and they are very quite for what they are. They have excellent offroad traction. Ive had them in 33's 31's 35's 235/75/15 on an old ford beater and they are currently on my Rover in a 245/75/16. This time I opted for the 10 ply. I honestly love them and have zero complaints.

I have had Yokahoma ATS as well on a few trucks and they are excellent but lean more towards on road. Off road was still good but it wasn't as sure footed as the Grabbers in the mud. So tjis might be a better choice for you if you do more on road driving.

This was my Suburban on the Grabbers. I forget if it was the 33's or 35's. This truck had both. But it was so much smoother then the Goodyear junk I took off.

Call me stupid, but what is tjis?

Old 10-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

One letter off from "this" . J is next to the T.

Quick Reply: Final decision Hankook AT-M or BFG Rugged Terrain