Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Finally got a D1 but Houston Ive got some problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Analogkid
hey guys thanks for the info. I was (wrongly) assuming that the front markers would come on with the head lights. I guess I just need to replace the pass side fender bulb- looks like a blast to access!! Spike Im with you- Im not touching that damn sunroof!! Oh Im happy to say that everything that holds oil- engine, trans, diffs all leak like a SOB! my garage floor looks great with softball sized drip marks. I work second shift tomorrow so that gives me 6 or so hours to tear into this thing. Stay tuned for more exciting "Discoverys" no pun intended
If you anti-lock light stays on after you drive it faster than 10mph try this blink method to figure out which component is bad. It will save you from taking to a dealer to have it diagnosed. The file say's 1996 but its for all D1's.

Attached Files
Old 10-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Analogkid
I guess I just need to replace the pass side fender bulb- looks like a blast to access!!
That is actually pretty easy, the whole lense slides in one direction(don't remember which way though), then pops out with a small flathead screwdriver

Old 10-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by kenk
That is actually pretty easy, the whole lense slides in one direction(don't remember which way though), then pops out with a small flathead screwdriver
They slide backward to come out.
These are common to get ripped off at the auto car wash.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Drifting

So I finally took my D1 around the block today but no further since I still havent titled or transfered it yet and still dont have a plate on it. Im some how not suprised to hear a lovely knocking sound which seems to be comming from the top end of the motor but I cant be sure. I figured I would do an oil change to see if that might help so I grabbed 6 qts of oil and a filter at my local advanced auto parts. This is where it gets good... I drained about 6 qts of clearish very thick and some what sticky gew from the engine that looked like some kind of motor honey or possibly 80/90 gear oil. I let that drain and replaced it with 6 qts penzoil high mileage semi synthetic and a new fram filter and it still raps to beat the band. So Im thinking I will get this fixed and send it packing in short order. Its been nice knowing you guys but I might make the record books for the shortest Disco ownership of all time.
BTW- my middle eastern friend that sold me the car told me tough ****, it comes with no warranty "as is". When I asked him what his definition of "runs and drives 100% perfect" ment he told me thats exactly what I got. Ahhhh if I only lived near Staten Island NY!

Old 10-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am afraid that is typical of lots of EBAY and other on line vehicle sales if you don't check it out for yourself before you buy. Hope you did not spend too much on it. Consider it just like paying tuition, hope you learned from your experiences.

Caveat Emptor (let the buyer beware).

If it is that bad, I would not even bother with the title transfer, part it out or list it for sale as is. Someone else may still be willing to take it off your hands.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Drifting

ya Danny tuition for the school of hard knocks!!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Man that sucks.
Here in MI you have 3 days to make a return if it was not what it was advertised to be.

Motor Honey is nothing more than a viscosity thickener to make your oil thicker, so thats probably what the guy did.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:48 PM

The point is not all education comes from those hallowed higher institutions with fancy guilded diplomas.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
Man that sucks.
Here in MI you have 3 days to make a return if it was not what it was advertised to be.

Motor Honey is nothing more than a viscosity thickener to make your oil thicker, so thats probably what the guy did.
The turd burglar is on Staten Island and Im in Pittsburgh PA, Ive contact the NY State DAs office and if I can gather the right info I do have a case if I choose to persue but it might be easier to just drive it to my local car dealership and get another Grand Cherokee?

Anyone know a good Rover mechanic in Pittsburgh?
For some reason my A-hole hurts like hell tonight!!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:01 PM

I am in the Pittsburgh area if you need some help with it. PM me. I live in plum Boro, just past Penn Hills on Saltsburg Road. I can probably help you out with alt least some of the issues.

Maybe we can resolve it without you bearing a total loss. I will be glad to help with itand can refer you to some other local resources. We can even print you a Diploma if you want one. We can do it real fancy.

Quick Reply: Finally got a D1 but Houston Ive got some problems