Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Finished the rust renovation and new floor

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finished the rust renovation and new floor

Finally finished except for fuel door and a little caulking. Grinded everything. Rust proofed chemical bath. Fiberglassed holes. Prepared steel and diamond plate or floors.

Attached Thumbnails Finished the rust renovation and new floor-untitled-0-00-21-28.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-159.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-195.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-216.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-266.jpg  

Old 12-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Pro Wrench

Primed back and front (except front of diamondplate). Insulation added. Fiberglass painted for covering.

Attached Thumbnails Finished the rust renovation and new floor-291.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-324.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-333.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-340.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-346.jpg  

Old 12-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Pro Wrench

Crack in the floor where the seatbolt bolt/undercarriage body bushing fits. Did a little fix while I was there.

Cutaways on the floor panels to reuse existing seat belt fittings. Change of design.

Bumper looks terrible. Fixed it with the scrap diamondplate....tooo shiny.

Fixed that bad corner with an extra piece of diamondplate.

Attached Thumbnails Finished the rust renovation and new floor-351.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-353.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-365.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-387.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-389.jpg  

Old 12-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Default And that's about it.

Short of a good welding job which I cannot do myself I am pleased with the results. Cutting metal with a hand grinder accurately isn't easy and a shop with plasma cutter would get much better results. But I feel it looks good, is consistent with the overall finish I'm looking for and has been a fun experience. Overall I think it's really sound. I spent a lot of time treating the rust right and while I don't expect it to disappear I do think I controlled it for now.

Roof and front next.

Attached Thumbnails Finished the rust renovation and new floor-394.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-391.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-406.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-414.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-420.jpg  

Old 12-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what caused your rig to rust so bad if you are from a warm climate? Nice work though.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Pro Wrench

i live at the beach. everything rusts in front of you. First half of its life I had her in NYC. Salt, grime, etc.

But what really does it is not stopping the leaks in the roof at their onset.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You have been busy. Excellant work. As good as it looks top side, might want to spray some undercoating on in spots below deck if any need attention.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Pro Wrench

i was under there last night putting the bumper caps on. there are a few spots that need attention for sure and 'll get to them soon. thanks sava.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking Good, Brudda. You did excellent. Way to go with the hand grinder. I like the way you did it.

I been watching them demo a new Dremel mini sized circular saw on TV that I may try with a similar project. But mine is minor compared to what you had to deal with.

I spent two years in Key West and ten years in the Space Coast region of Florida and I know what you mean about rust at the beach. The metal almost evaporates over time.

Great job on all of it. Thanks for the pics.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Great work!

Quick Reply: Finished the rust renovation and new floor