Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

first post: Another overheating disco. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 07:03 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question first post: Another overheating disco. Please help!

Ok. here goes it, my water pump failed...so i replaced it. Immediate overheating issues after the replacement of the water pump. This rover has never had an issue with overheating in its past. So I replaced the thermostat and the coolant reservoir, bled the system of air bubbles...went for a ride and again over heating. Tore the motor down and replaced the head gaskets/valley gasket/valve cover gaskets/exhaust manifold gaskets as well as having the heads re-surfaced. Put it all back together and went for a ride...overheated. Now when I say "overheat" I do not mean the vehicle red lined, i just saw the temp gauge begin rising and I immediately pulled over and waited for it to cool. So Im assuming I failed to bleed the coolant system properly. Went home and drove the rover up on blocks on the passenger side and bled the system again. Went for a drive. I thought I fixed the issue, 17-20 minutes into the drive...almost home and there goes the gauge again. Pulled into the driveway, turned the rover off and the secondary fan was on. My hoses aren't rock hard and theres no sound of coolant boiling. No white smoke from the exhaust or sweet smell of burning anti-freeze. The radiator is hot on top and fairly hot on the bottom. Where do I go from here? Im pretty beat up over this. Any help would be amazing. Thanks guys.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

How's the viscous fan? Fan Shroud back in place correctly after replacing the water pump? New parts are occasionally bad. I put a water pump on my D2 that leaked within 6 days of install...

finally, have you ruled out a bad sensor? I had a temp sender go bad in my 200tdi, I stopped driving it for months until I caved and bought an IR temp gauge and figured out that the sender/gauge was bad. (Replaced both sender AND gauge to solve)

The following users liked this post:
basstow (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 08:04 PM
7th Gear

Viscous fan clutch....Im a moron. I should have replaced that when I did the water pump. I guess if thats not the solve Ill be borrowing an IR temp gauge and checking to see if the sender/gauge is reading proper.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Harbor Freight has an inexpensive IR gun. I caved and bought one last year. I have 10 bucks on fan clutch though

basstow (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 10:45 AM
7th Gear

Im one of the lucky few who live within 45min of the atlantic british warehouse, so monday morning Ill be headed over to pick up a fan clutch. Thanks Rob

Old 07-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spend a few bucks and get yourself a real-time OBD2 reader so that you can see the actual values of the coolant temperature. You'll be surprised and amazed at how high it spikes before the dash gauge starts to move, near as I can tell the dash gauge is ornamental and is only there to clue you in at the worst possible time that something bad has already occurred. Also, check for any pressure leaks in your cooling system, especially around the expansion tank, and if you still have the black one in there replace it before it grenades on you

basstow (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 08:23 AM
7th Gear

Ive basically replaced the entire cooling system at this point, including my coolant over flow expansion tank as I previously stated in my OP. However I am beginning to realize how what your saying is correct in regards to the dash temp gauge. With my D1 wouldn't I be looking for an OBD1 reader as opposed to the OBD2 reader?

Old 07-02-2017, 11:19 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by basstow
Ive basically replaced the entire cooling system at this point, including my coolant over flow expansion tank as I previously stated in my OP. However I am beginning to realize how what your saying is correct in regards to the dash temp gauge. With my D1 wouldn't I be looking for an OBD1 reader as opposed to the OBD2 reader?
A '98 DI is OBD2.

'94- '95 = OBD1. '96 and up = OBD2