Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Flexplate shattered,

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flexplate shattered,

I found a flexplate. I was told pulling the motor is the easiest way of replacing the flexplate.

Any opinions? advice?

Old 06-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you can pull the engine and have to take everything attached to it apart or just pull the t-case and transmission.. I would say if you dont have a lift - pull the engine.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Rock Crawling

I am looking and thinking that dropping the transfer case then tranny would be easier than pulling motor.

I dont have an engine hoist......179 to buy, 229 to rent for a week.

Has anybody dropped a transmission/

Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Rock Crawling

I found an engine hoist from a club member.....SO I guess Ill be pulling the motor.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Be careful removing the hex keyed bolts that secure a portion of the plate to the crank. You don't want to strip them. You'll need to get creative with a crow bar to help with leverage unless you have a very powerful compressor and Snap On impact sockets. When you have the engine out you'll see what I mean.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Be careful removing the hex keyed bolts that secure a portion of the plate to the crank. You don't want to strip them. You'll need to get creative with a crow bar to help with leverage unless you have a very powerful compressor and Snap On impact sockets. When you have the engine out you'll see what I mean.
I am hoping this situation wont be ther as the motor was rebuilt last year, When installed the PO told me he may have bent the flexplate....VIOLA he did.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks to a board memeber here I was able to pull down all the instructions to pull motor. Seems simple. Just a PITA.

I figure this bent flex plate may have been the source of the knocking or rattling sound I have had since purchased.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:09 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I had a '96 DI a long time ago. It had a recently installed motor (from Land Rover) and rebuilt transmission. It soon developed a rattle, not unlike what you would expect from a cat with a broken up matrix. I drove it for awhile and the rattle got more regular until one day the truck stalled and wouldn't start. The problem was the serrated ring attached to the flex plate. It's there for the crank sensor to get its readings. It's only riveted in place. The sound I had been hearing was the sound of that ring slowly deforming and ultimately detaching from the flex plate. It was visible through the inspection cover on the front of the bell housing but any repairs required removal of the engine.

Good luck.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
I had a '96 DI a long time ago. It had a recently installed motor (from Land Rover) and rebuilt transmission. It soon developed a rattle, not unlike what you would expect from a cat with a broken up matrix. I drove it for awhile and the rattle got more regular until one day the truck stalled and wouldn't start. The problem was the serrated ring attached to the flex plate. It's there for the crank sensor to get its readings. It's only riveted in place. The sound I had been hearing was the sound of that ring slowly deforming and ultimately detaching from the flex plate. It was visible through the inspection cover on the front of the bell housing but any repairs required removal of the engine.

Good luck.

That is exactly my story. I think it started with a bent flex plate the PO bent while installing the motor. he lightly mentioned it when I purchased the car.
Well I will feel better about the car knowing what the noise has been. it s obvious now.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea I think I may have the same issue haha

Quick Reply: Flexplate shattered,