Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fricken 96 Rocket ship...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fricken 96 Rocket ship...

Holy crap is my 96 fast now... The other 2 I have had where NOTHING like this... I mean your doing 55-60 kick it down and it sits you back in the seat...

Here's video of it doing that... Sorry but it was recorded on my cannon camera this time, which is a camera, not a video recorder per say, so the sounds not nearly as good as the recorder I normally use. check out when I kick it down at the 1 minute mark....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUFvRxgrdcY

I did some more work to it this morning, new front O2's and replaced the to rear springs with springs from a D90, which really makes the truck ride better I think. (A little stiffer, more solid feeling) It also solved the leaning issue I had. I went ahead and removed the rear sway bar.

I'm going to do the fronts this coming week with the D90's also just don't have time today and it, and it's going to rain tomorrow.

Now that the trucks running good, I'm actually really enjoying it. Since getting the new ECM in, I've ran it about 1000 miles total.

It's got that high idle issue now at startup, or whenever it's in park... Idles around 2k. Put it into gear and it drops the idle down to where it's suppose to be. So, I have to fix that.

Last edited by ngarover; 03-13-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

mine never downshifts TWO gears!!

sorry bout the high idle still sounds ecu related. i got mine reset but it went back to high idle untill i replaced iacv tps and the ecu. it may have just been the tps we will never know

Old 03-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
mine never downshifts TWO gears!!

sorry bout the high idle still sounds ecu related. i got mine reset but it went back to high idle untill i replaced iacv tps and the ecu. it may have just been the tps we will never know
ya, I've never seen that on my others... 2 gears... that's what happens when I punch it...

Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default You need to Dyno test it!

My OT-2 OBDII scanner does dyno runs. Needless to say my '99 sucks both in performance and fuel when I do the dyno run, but it's handy to test engine mods.
It would be nice to see your dyno data.
I'm happy for you.

SD

Old 03-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds nice and looks like it runs really nice. I have never been able to punch mine and have it down shift at 55-60 mph. I probably have something wrong with my transmission, but it still drives nice. If I could just resolve the vibration, I would be set.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is great to hear after all the frustration you went thru with it.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
That is great to hear after all the frustration you went thru with it.
Ya,I'm glad I didn't give up on her. The D90 Springs made a really nice difference also, truck feels much stiffer, but not too stiff... these are the springs they should have put on factory... I've always thought the factory D1 springs where spongy feeling... I guess it's nice for a mall cruiser, but never felt "stable" to me.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok Dude,

I take back all those mean nasty comments I made about it as you struggled with it. Congratulations. You should go into business specializing in quick spark plug changes for Discoveries.

I wish I had known about the D90 springs when I did mine. But I did ok, a friend that had extra LR parts sold me a set of OME heavy Duty extended springs for the rear real cheap, and helped me put them on along with new shocks I had purchased. He showed me something he said he has seen done a lot on other Discoveries, that is , we moved my rear shocks to the front of mine. So far, it has been fine.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While working on my head gaskets I noticed my kick down cable was completely trashed. Getting one from LR today for only $73. Hoping that solves some of my hesitation on kick down.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Ok Dude,

I take back all those mean nasty comments I made about it as you struggled with it. Congratulations. You should go into business specializing in quick spark plug changes for Discoveries.

I wish I had known about the D90 springs when I did mine. But I did ok, a friend that had extra LR parts sold me a set of OME heavy Duty extended springs for the rear real cheap, and helped me put them on along with new shocks I had purchased. He showed me something he said he has seen done a lot on other Discoveries, that is , we moved my rear shocks to the front of mine. So far, it has been fine.
Starting from scratch, I can remove and replace all the plugs in about 15 minutes... no kidding... I've defiantly had a lot of practice..