Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Front cover reinstall

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016 | 01:24 PM
|
6th Gear
Default Front cover reinstall

I need to pull the front cover on a 98 land rover disco I. I am not replacing the timing chain or gears. I need to check the oil pump gears. I have read the rave manual and its a little unclear. It gives instructions on the replacement of the timing gears but not just the oil pump gears. Getting to the question; since I am not replacing the timing components is it a simple matter of pulling the front cover checking the oil pump gears and bolting the cover back on. Do I still need special tool LRT-12-090???

Old 02-16-2016 | 02:05 PM
Pro Wrench

Do I still need special tool LRT-12-090???
To install the cover in the real world it is not required unless blind. It's used to assist in the alignment with the Woodruff key. You should be good to go as long as you know what you are doing. LR manuals call out for various tools that may help to idiot proof or make things easier for mechs.

Old 02-16-2016 | 05:52 PM
Camel Trophy

I have a question for you. Why are you checking the oil rotor?

Old 02-16-2016 | 08:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Man, If I was going to pull the front cover, the timing chain and gear would be a definite replacement, especially if that 98 has alot of miles on it. Do you have low oil pressure or oil light flickers? just curious, I am with ihscouts, why are you checking the oil pump?

Old 02-16-2016 | 08:58 PM
Camel Trophy

We think alike.....

Old 02-17-2016 | 01:22 PM
|
6th Gear

Update, my 98 land rover disco I has been parked in storage for almost four years.It has 114,000 miles on it. I am replacing all the seals. The front cover has a small antifreeze leak so it's going to get replaced while I am in there. I want to make sure the housing and oil pump gear look good and I may even gauge the gears as the shop manual suggests. The timing chain on the 98 is a chain and not a belt, and by most accounts should last the life of the motor but I will check while I'm in there. For the most part I enjoy working on cars, so it's a love it or leave it thing with me.

Old 02-19-2016 | 08:33 AM
Baja

a timing chain does not last the life of the motor, well I guess it does.

Because when it breaks it will send the pistons slamming into the valves probably cracking the heads; so yes they last the life of the motor.

replace the timing set and oil pump, why do all that work and leave 18-year old parts in there for the sake of $200.

Attached Thumbnails Front cover reinstall-rover-v8-chain.jpg   Front cover reinstall-rover-v8-chain-1-.jpg  

Last edited by drowssap; 02-19-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-19-2016 | 01:56 PM
|
6th Gear

Not trying to save money. If I was, I would go with another vehicle. As I said in my last post, I will check out the gears on the oil pump and the chain and timing gears. The pictures you posted are good for reference. If the chain is that loose, I will replace it. But for the most part even on this forum everyone posts that they go bad around 200,000 miles and at that point we are looking at more than just a timing gear set.

Old 02-19-2016 | 02:53 PM
|
6th Gear

My last post. I came to this site for research. Not to be talked down too. I love that the posts have been a little helpful, but it seems that those of you that have replied take more joy in trolling than you do in the joy of owning one of these vehicles.

Old 02-19-2016 | 04:01 PM
Camel Trophy

No one is talking down to you, we've all mashed knuckles wrenching on our vehicles wether Land Rover or otherwise and none for the sake of seeing our own blood. We are long past being called students. If our techniques bother you than by all means find your comfort level, I'm better looking than a troll anyways. Thank you for answering my question on why you wanted to see your gear rotor pump, there's many reasons why and I just wanted clarification to proceed with a straight forward answer and a little teacher/student bonding......

Quick Reply: Front cover reinstall