Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel pressure at rail

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel pressure at rail

My truck has been stalling and won't hot restart...sometimes. I thought I may have tricked it by unplugging the fuel temp sensor which seemed to work for awhile with no ill effects. Yesterday I got booted in a parking lot since it stalled, and I had to leave it for a few hours to cool off. I haven't been able to check the spark yet when it is in a no start mode, so I can't tell if it's a CKP sensor problem.
I just accessed the fuel pump to test it a little. The truck has been sitting all day, so will crank fine. I only turned the key to the on position and ran back to hear if the pump ran for it's 10 second prime. I could hear it, so I put a tire gauge (all I have) on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. A little fuel came out but the tire gauge registered zero. I then turned the key off and back on to re-pressurize the rail. I then just stuck a screwdriver on the schrader valve's plunger expected it to spray out pretty far since it should be 35psi. Well, it only shot a sad little stream that barely reached the valve cover, then nothing more. Is that normal? I thought 35psi of fuel should do a little more than that. No codes except for disconnected fuel temp sensor.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

mine was the same, ran great, then occasionally no hot start, then more frequent no hot start. It was a combo of dead fuel pump/clogged fuel filter.

I bet your fuel pump is on its way out. When I bled down the pressure in the line even with my dying pump there was a LOT of pressure in the line.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by geek_IM
mine was the same, ran great, then occasionally no hot start, then more frequent no hot start. It was a combo of dead fuel pump/clogged fuel filter.

I bet your fuel pump is on its way out. When I bled down the pressure in the line even with my dying pump there was a LOT of pressure in the line.
I'm a little confused. Why was there so much pressure in the line if the pump was dying? Mine has 125k with the original pump, so I thought it probably was it. I replaced the canister filter a month ago. Not sure if in-tank filter is clogged. I have two electrical connectors on the pump, so I assume that means I have AEL. From searching on here, I think I'll go with the E3270 pump only and keep the housing unit. IIRC, that works on an AEL pump. Is it common for the fuel pressure regulator to be at fault too?

Old 08-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Well I put in a new E3270 fuel pump (with a new sock filter) and a Standard Motors brand CKP sensor this morning all for under $100. I figured it as regular maintenance seeing as they've never been changed before per the PO. She runs fine now, but we'll see if it lasts..