Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel pump 97 disco

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:04 PM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel pump 97 disco

I'm a Land Rover enthusiast but a novice repair person and work on my disco with my friend but I have a question. Leaving a production the other day, Lucy (my disco's name), stalled and wouldn't start. She would try to crank but didn't turn over, seemed to be losing power so checked the battery connections, checked the computer, checked to see if I was getting a spark from the plugs, which she was then a buddy of mine suggested/helped me to check to see if the fuel pump was running after waiting hours to get it towed back home. And there is no sound as it is running. We checked the electric on top of the fuel pump and there is voltage but it isn't running. Removed the pump today so my question is, is it a stand alone unit or is it possible to just replace the pump itself instead of the whole housing unit.

Thanks

Old 04-02-2016, 08:10 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by japarkman
I'm a Land Rover enthusiast but a novice repair person and work on my disco with my friend but I have a question. Leaving a production the other day, Lucy (my disco's name), stalled and wouldn't start. She would try to crank but didn't turn over, seemed to be losing power so checked the battery connections, checked the computer, checked to see if I was getting a spark from the plugs, which she was then a buddy of mine suggested/helped me to check to see if the fuel pump was running after waiting hours to get it towed back home. And there is no sound as it is running. We checked the electric on top of the fuel pump and there is voltage but it isn't running. Removed the pump today so my question is, is it a stand alone unit or is it possible to just replace the pump itself instead of the whole housing unit.

Thanks
It's possible to replace just the pump with a pretty cheap pump from a Chevy. I think it was an Impala or similar. You will need to get some different fuel line. There is even a Chinese version you can get on ebay for ~$25. I know there are a bunch of post about it on other forums. I'm sure you can find some here as well.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:06 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for your insight. I have read other forums here and they gave a part (Airtex E3270) that would work but I haven't been able to find that part in the main auto part stores and some sites says that it isn't compatible with the '97 disco. Any suggestions?

The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (08-08-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 08:48 AM
TReK
Received 438 Likes on 364 Posts

You must first determine whether your '97 has AEL (advanced evaporative loss) or is a pre-AEL. The pumps are different.

This thread will help in many ways...
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...estions-75683/

Last edited by WaltNYC; 04-04-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:54 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by japarkman
Thanks for your insight. I have read other forums here and they gave a part (Airtex E3270) that would work but I haven't been able to find that part in the main auto part stores and some sites says that it isn't compatible with the '97 disco. Any suggestions?
I've used this pump.
New Fuel Pump Module Repair Kit Fits Yukon Camaro Caprice Many More | eBay

and I've also used this:
CARQUEST or Airtex Electric Fuel Pump E3270N: Advance Auto Parts

Neither of those will be listed for a Land Rover because they are not for a land rover. But they are a cheap alternative. If you want to just replace the pump unit itself. But it will require disasembly of your fuel pump and require a little bit of creativity to make it work.

japarkman (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 02:14 AM
4th Gear

Thanks Buddy, I wish I would've read your post before I purchased the whole housing assembly from Conventry West (Atlanta, Ga), because Atlantic British was saying that because of the weather it might be a while to deliver it to me. So spent the $400, so that I wouldn't have to take uber anymore to work. I still have the old one but will play around with it because the only thing holding the pump to the housing assembly is one hose and most places was saying that it was a stand alone unit, meaning couldn't be disassembled. So with that being said, I installed the new fuel pump housing and she cranked right up. My only concern is that when she is idle, the rpm's seems a little low to me, compared to where she usually idles, now it is at the first notch passed 0 rpms. I probably need to do a tune up, as it has been awhile since I have changed my plugs etc. Oh and Lucy is an advanced evaporation loss.

mr4x4 (08-08-2016)