Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Gas Mileage Survey

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is on the agenda for tomorrow or thurs Mike. As well as a new Rotoflex.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last fill up I got 14.4 mpg, 66% of which was interstate at 74mph with stock wheels, tires, etc. I'm not sure that is absolutely correct since I haven't checked my odometer for accuracy. I know my speedo reads about 5% fast compared to GPS, but it didn't occur to me to check the odometer against the GPS until now.

Having said that, I have owned this truck for 14 years, and even when new I do not recall ever getting more than 15.5 MPG or less than 12.5, even with the luggage carrier on the roof rack. I run usually 36-38PSI, though. The Volo Fuel Saver sounds interesting, would pay for itself pretty quickly if I only saw a modest increase in MPG.

Last edited by jigray3; 10-12-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:41 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default You can't knock it if you haven't tried it....

My $0.02....

After installing my Volo, I saw a relatively modest increase, 40-60 extra miles out of each tank depending on if it was heavy city or driving. But an increase is an increase and in a Rover it didn't take long for it to pay for itself.

I'm not saying it should be the first thing you consider if you are getting horrible gas mileage, there are obviously other things that need be addressed first to get your fuel economy to the baseline. But if your maintenance is up to date and you've done everything else to keep your fuel economy at "normal," but you would like to try and squeeze a few more miles out of each precious gallon of premium gas, then why not try something others on the forum are using on their Rovers and are vouching for...

My "proof".......I have one on my truck and I get better gas mileage than I did before I installed it.

Disclaimer : I do not work for Volo, and I don't fall for every infomercial I see on TV

Old 10-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
My $0.02....

After installing my Volo, I saw a relatively modest increase, 40-60 extra miles out of each tank depending on if it was heavy city or driving. But an increase is an increase and in a Rover it didn't take long for it to pay for itself.

I'm not saying it should be the first thing you consider if you are getting horrible gas mileage, there are obviously other things that need be addressed first to get your fuel economy to the baseline. But if your maintenance is up to date and you've done everything else to keep your fuel economy at "normal," but you would like to try and squeeze a few more miles out of each precious gallon of premium gas, then why not try something others on the forum are using on their Rovers and are vouching for...

My "proof".......I have one on my truck and I get better gas mileage than I did before I installed it.

Disclaimer : I do not work for Volo, and I don't fall for every infomercial I see on TV
In general, I think chips are a bit of a known quantity, frequently offered by highly reputable firms, and widely embraced by critics and the market. The quibbles may be with the specific programming of a given chip and some claims that tend to be a little excessive. There's also no such thing as a free lunch, as they say, so improvements in mileage generally come at a cost somewhere. eg. cold start, driveability, performance, and/or just plain dollars. If you are lucky, this may be an example where the cost of the technology that would have been prohibitive to include when our trucks were built, is now simply more affordable.

I know nothing about Volo other than what I have read here, but my interest is certainly piqued. Your experience seems to fall exactly within their claim of a 15-18% increase in fuel economy. Even if it is an 8% improvement, does not decrease performance, and does not harm reliability or longevity, I'll buy it. I do like to see independent testing for confirmation of claims, rather than anecdotal evidence and testimonials, though.

So how long have folks been running the FS1 and are there any know issues?

Last edited by jigray3; 10-12-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Three Wheeling

What about us drivers with a 95 non OBDII Disco? It says on volo that they are for OBDII trucks, and it doesn't have a 95 Disco on the car selection. I would love better mileage.
Just did a 400 mile round trip and on the way there and driving around once there i got 15.5+ best I've seen. I'm happy.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What was the price of the Volo?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:35 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just checked on the website and the FS1 is on sale at 59.95$ and the FS3 at 89.95$ which I think isn't that much.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:11 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jull
I just checked on the website and the FS1 is on sale at 59.95$ and the FS3 at 89.95$ which I think isn't that much.
I got my FS1 for $59.95 several months ago. If you buy one, get it direct from their website, they charge a few dollars more when selling them on eBay.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Mudding

I got the FS3 for 89.99. Increased my mpg by 1-2mpg. I don't see any noticable difference in power/acceleration/etc. It's already paid itself off. What more can I ask for?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:38 PM
4wd Low

I was getting about 14.5 in city (average 35mph) driving and 17 highway (average 75mph) running 91 fuel and I tried some 93 last week and I noticed a slight better difference in gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage Survey