Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

gear indicator and battery light lead to dead car

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:17 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear indicator and battery light lead to dead car

So I have a 1999 Discovery I, I had been driving around town all day yesterday with no problems, recently however, my disco has been in and out of the mechanic, first my engine blew, than the mechanics who put the new engine in apparently did not know what they were doing because than there was just problem after problem, first it was the power steering pump, had to get the whole thing replaced, than the crank shaft was on the fritz, than the fuel line was busted. So anyway the last problem (fuel line) was a couple of weeks ago, so I was excited to get on with my disco, however yesterday after driving around for awhile, I got into my car and started it, the gear indicator needle started jumping up and down and my car started to sound like the engine was being revved and than the battery light flickered on and off and than the engine died, I tried starting it back up and it did and it hasnt happened since, plus my car is really leaking, i think it might be oil but not to sure, anyone know whats going on?

Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

What is the gear indicator needle?

Think you mean tach
Sounds like you need better mechanics

Stick your finger in the leak and see what color it is

The irradic running could be air in your fuel line do you smell gas?

Old 08-07-2013, 01:36 PM
5th Gear

Well I'm not sure what its called, the needle anyway, it's to the left of the speedometer, the liquid looks like clean oil, it's a yellow or brown, I tried dabbing it up with a paper towel and it came up yellow, but it looked like I just didnt get a concentrated amount of oil, and I did just fix the fuel line about 3 weeks ago

Old 08-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

also if that is oil leaking from valve covers onto spark plugs, it can foul the plugs and cause fluctuations.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 PM
5th Gear

So just to be sure the oil leak could be going on the spark plugs which is causing the needle to go up and down? I'm not much of a knowledgeable person when it comes to cars so I'm just making sure that's what your saying

Old 08-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

yes, if plugs foul it can misfire and that can show in the tachometer having jumps instead of normal smooth running operation. but that is a guess. it sounds like there could be more going on.
like it skips a beat

Last edited by dusty1; 08-07-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

More bad news. Your alternator is about to die. When the graphite brushes inside wear down, they start to loose contact. At that point the tachometer has loss of signal. The smallest wire on the back of the alternator, and the only one that plugs in, the other two bolt on. If loose it could do this. So be sure all wires are tight on alternator, and that there is a voltage of 13.8 - 14.4 at the battery terminals. Auto parts store can check that for you.

Very common to have oil leaks after engine work. Valve covers may need to be tightened up, and the oil cooler lines from radiator (battery side) and engine should be checked.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:47 PM
5th Gear

So would I need a new alternator or just re-wiring? And that's what I figured on the leak

Old 08-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

make sure the wires are secure and making a good connection. if alt is bad only replacement, new or reconditioned will cure it

Old 08-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

buzz I was thinking the same thing till I re read the first post, I think he has more of a mechanic problem

I do agree on the leak with checking hoses and then look the engine over, front of intake, valve covers, it is not hard to see oil runnin down this engine

the yellow fluid could be clean oil OR could be the mechanic used power steering fluid in the new pump instead of the red trans fluid and that is leaking

also be sure you run 15-40 rotella t oil and a good filter not a fram or other cheap one

if you have an idea where the vehicle drips leave paper towel or similar under it over nite to get dripped on, if you think you see where the fluid is coming from post a pic we can try to steer you in the right direction

Last edited by TOM R; 08-07-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: gear indicator and battery light lead to dead car