Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Guys, I need help. Please don't flame me :O

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Guys, I need help. Please don't flame me :O

Okay guys.. I have ACTUALLY contemplated selling Claire. There I said it. I found a 1993 240sx 5 speed for sale for $2k. Talked to the guardians and they agreed if I can sell Claire I can buy the 240. Thing is... IDK WHAT I WANT! I have done so much to Claire, and I love having 7 seats..or 5 depends on if I have a sub haha. And I love having a Rover. But..gas is killing me, and she obviously is no speed demon. And I can't get those damn rivets off to fix the CDL. Not to mention I can't off road anywhere. So then.. I decided to turn her into a city car, big city. Make her turn eyes besides just being a Rover and covered in mud. So I went to my local wheel place.. 5 lug 6.5"... guess how many wheels? ZILCH. So I suck it up and head over to the tint place for maybe 15% all around.. they have to strip the old cracking tint and buy brand new land rover windows all the way around.. estimate? $700..AT LEAST.. And that was just cosmetics. What do you guys think? 240 which I can tear apart, it's basically a fancified Honda, or keep Claire and make her nice and suck up the gas prices? I have a guy who wants to buy her for 4 grand.. I just can't decided!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I used to have an integra, the ugly body style (96) z28 and a few other fast and furious type cars. It really comes down to what you want. I used to like driving fast and racing and doing smokey burnouts. But now I'm 26 and I don't give a **** aboutthat stuff. I want one car that does well in the snow (and sounds like a demon) and another one that's comfortable on road trips.
The mileage in that truck sucks. We all know it. But it's a trade off. You might pull 25 with the 240sx but you're not going anywhere with more than one person and you're not going anywhere in bad weather. Only you know what you want. But I'm willing to bet. Eventually you'll stop caring about shredder graphics and bright blue intake manifolds.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Calebbo, I can tell you this...i used to own a 1991 240sx S13 with SuperHicas..did a SR20DET swap, disabled the HICAS, VLSD (from factory), NISMO brace, Battle Version suspension, Megan Racing coil overs, BRIDE seats, 18" +5 and +15 staggered wheels; even got the car almost perfectly corner weighted. I drifted and autocrossed the hell out of it and had a blast.

Then, i found the Disco. I have a family so it made more sense to have a 4 door, can get kids seats in and out of easily and something that didnt' scrape going down the freeway with just a driver in it. Not to mention that i no longer fear speed bumps. I have dumped waaay more money into that 240sx in one year than i have even come close to putting into my disco in more than 2 years of ownership, albeit that i did have a speed/drifting habit to nurture at the time.

I say, do what you want...the 240 is an excellent car...but, it is still old and will need care and replacement parts. However, these parts are relatively cheap compared to the Disco. The Disco will get you more places, in more comfort and with more class. Unfortunately, the Disco will cost more in terms of ownership/repair costs...gas is expensive after all. You'll have to weigh your needs to make the best decision; like how much do you enjoy off roading? Do you like the history and abilities that the Discovery represents? How deep are your pockets to keep your truck running as is (not even thinking about mods)? I can tell you this, the people on the LR forum boards are more knowledgeable overall and more willing to help than the ones on the Nissan forums (not many actual Nissan techs online in the forums; a lot of people just puking out wrong info to sound smart).

As far as removing the old window tint..it's a fairly easy job to do yourself. Just buy a can of denatured alcohol and mix it 50/50 with warm soapy water. Take a razor blade scraper (you can find these at harbor freight/autozone/oreilly's, etc) and just start at one corner and work your way around spraying and scraping. I was usually able to get one corner of the tint lifted and able to pull it off the window just leaving the adhesive on the glass. The mixture takes that right off using the razor to scrape it. Make sure you get ALL of the adhesive off the glass as you will have bubbles in your new tint if you miss something and it will be frustrating for the tint guys as they will have to pull the tint off and remove the parts you missed adding to the install time and also your cost.

I wish you luck in your decision, i know it will be a challenging one. =)

Last edited by vegas99d1; 06-01-2011 at 08:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C-Bo...You already know what you want. You have a real passion for the Landy...I would ask yourself if you feel the same for the 240?

I have read over and over in these threads about guys who sold their vehicle for one reason or another (Chris-Bob and his "Jeep" comes to mind) and regret it to this day.

With what you have already learned and invested - I would try and stick it our with the Landy - as Turf63 said, the 240 does not even come close to the versatility, comfort and plain bad-a$$ness of the Rover.

Just my opinion though - I do know gas $$ suck.

Good luck man, oh and if you need help with the rivets, PM me.

Chris

Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

nowhere to off-road? sounds like a poor excuse. i live on the doorstep of NYC and i find places to off-road. if you can't afford to keep the land rover running then sell it. but don't go buy something else that will cost you an arm and a leg. as for the rivets you can drill them out. if i were you i would take your truck off road as is, if you don't fall in love with it right then and there, get it home wash it clean and sell it.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the Rover and start saving. I love my Rover but not quite as much as my car, especially when it gets 27 mpg. Its quick and handles like a dream. Granted I have WAY more time and money invested in the car so I'm partial. The car is way more economical and fun for daily driving but the Rover is great for a larger vehicle for hauling, towing, playing, etc... Just a personal decision I guess

Old 06-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Btw, I'll take all the measurements and pictures of the sub box you want. I'll walk you through the build, but I'm not wasting my time if your gonna ditch the rover anyway. Let me know what you wanna do. I/we are here to help if/when you need it.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain, but I went the other way. I went from a kick butt Euro spec MK3 VW Golf lowered and every Nuespeed part on the planet installed. Traded it for Disco with a bad engine. I guess I just wanted something different (grass is greener on the other side). I love the Disco for its history, ability and the time I get to spend fixing it (which is a lot). I miss the Vdub's economy and speed, but the Disco is so much more useful and doesn't scrape the ground when I hit a bump. I am going to drop a 300 TDI in mine to resove the fuel issue. Just drill the rivets out! I can tell you this no matter what you do, you are gonna wish you didn't, that is just the pain of car love.

Good Luck

Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I say that if you can recover from 4 GRAND from Clarabell, KISS THE FAT COW GOODBYE.

GRAB THAT 240 WHILE YOU CAN, ENJOY IT WHILE YOU ARE YOUNG MY FRIEND. YOU DO NOT GET MUCH SNOW IN TUPELO, GOT NO FAMILY OF YOUNG KIDS TO HAUL AROUND, DO NOT LIKE THE MUD SO WHY KEEP CLAIRE NOW. YOU CAN ALAYS GRAB ANOTHER ONE LATER .....

I HAD A 79 DATSUN 280ZX 2+2. BACK WHEN THEY WERE CALLED DATSUN, BOY WHAT A BADASS AND BEAUTIFUL BODY DESIGN, EXCELLENT CRUISING. FORGET DRIFTING, ENJOY IT AS IT WAS MEANT TO BE A ROAD CAR. WINDING CURVES, LONG STRAIGHTAWAYS, INTERSTATES, OR JUST HANGING OUT AT THE BEACH.

IF YOU GET 4 GRAND FOR CLAIRE, YOU DONE FINE BOY.

EDIT: Just drill the rivets out! I TOLD HIM THAT MONTHS AGO. HE SAYS HE KNOWS HOW TO USE A DRILL. I EVEN SUGGESTED A SHARP CENTER PUNCH AND GOOD BITS, BUT WE SEE HOW FAR HE GOT WITH THAT...........

BUY THE 240, KISS THE COW GOODBYE. THAR'S PLENTY MORE COWS IN THE PASTURE YOUNG BULL!

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 06-01-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:49 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can't afford the fuel, then sell her and get something else you can afford to drive. You can always get another LR later in life.

Quick Reply: Guys, I need help. Please don't flame me :O