Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Have I lost my mind ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Say What?
he's right, the magic fluid in the swivel ball is " 00 grease" . it is used in a lot of lawnmower transaxle assy's. thicker than gear lube, thinner than grease. you can usually get a quart of it fairly cheap.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the insanity!... You should flush all the fluids... you REALLY have to be up on all the maintenence... these are really very good trucks.. you just have to know their weak points... and the cooling system is the weakest! Brakes and head gaskets a close second!!! Just make sure you NEVER run them when the temp guage is in the red.....

Old 04-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One othre idea is to check the fan clutch... Mine would work for about 5 minutes and then it had almost no drive left in it... Replaced with the chevy truck one and all good ever since...

Old 04-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by calebbo
Dang, is the gear box not the transmission? 0.0

(That slow yet growing embarrassing feeling when you just found out you might have made a huge blunder of a mistake..)
No. . .no. . .go ahead and put 00 grease in there. It would be interesting to see how it shifts. I am thinking might be a tad slower to shift.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:53 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Calebo is correct, the Auto and Manual trannys both take atf, and that the swivels take 00 grease that can be found at a small engine repair shop.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Repair a Land Rover Discovery electric window ECU to make the rear windows open again"

This dude is a genius. Saved me huge dinero and this seriously took me 25 minutes and cost me $15 bucks for the solder gun. Cant believe that this thing, the size of a pimple on your *** would be the culprit ! BTW ....love this goofy British ****, like the oil pan nut . Can you get it any closer to the muffler ?? Nada for a ratchet. I havent used an open end wrench in years ! No doubt I will have some mech skills when this is all said and done. With LR , is it ever said and done ??

Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxkid1
"Repair a Land Rover Discovery electric window ECU to make the rear windows open again"

This dude is a genius. Saved me huge dinero and this seriously took me 25 minutes and cost me $15 bucks for the solder gun. Cant believe that this thing, the size of a pimple on your *** would be the culprit ! BTW ....love this goofy British ****, like the oil pan nut . Can you get it any closer to the muffler ?? Nada for a ratchet. I havent used an open end wrench in years ! No doubt I will have some mech skills when this is all said and done. With LR , is it ever said and done ??
About 90% of the parts on these things can be rebuilt, including most of the switches and computers.
And no, it never ends.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ever had to drain the coolant? No drain plug or exit way that does NOT hit the damn frame. You pull the lower radiator hose and you have about .2 seconds to jump out of the way before your new white sneakers become oscar green..

Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
Ever had to drain the coolant? No drain plug or exit way that does NOT hit the damn frame. You pull the lower radiator hose and you have about .2 seconds to jump out of the way before your new white sneakers become oscar green..
If you are replacing the hoses you can drill a hole in the lower hose.
And if you are working on cars why in the hell are you wearing white shoes let alone good cloths?

Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
If you are replacing the hoses you can drill a hole in the lower hose.
And if you are working on cars why in the hell are you wearing white shoes let alone good cloths?
I wasn't I was just telling him to watch out for the coolant water fall haha

Quick Reply: Have I lost my mind ?