Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Head Gasket leaking into cylinder wall?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:49 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by primey
Does this sound like a head gasket, its like the truck ran fine from June 1st issue till first of Sept. Strange deal, its like when it does it, I have no power and it spits and sputters, but when it runs it runs great. It has been doing it after it sits for a week or so, both times I noticed.....It has just done it twice and thats what motivated me to get it checked out before I got stranded..;-) I was thought it was a minor issue but oh well.
Does not sound like a head gasket. Not saying it isn't, only way to tell is have the system tested. But those symptoms could be anything, including a failing VSS. Time to go to Harbour Freight and get some tools for testing! You can get a compression tester, leak down tester and multi meter for cheap. Probably have to order an adapter for a cooling system pressure tester.(from a parts store)

Old 09-20-2011, 11:02 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Go to Napa and buy the kit for testing emissions gasses in your coolant. The kit will cost you about $35 and will be invaluable if you plan on buying used vehicles in the future (especially British ones). In short order you will know if you have issues with the head gasket or block.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the help guys

Well the local mechanic called me back and said he added some antifreeze and for me to keep a eye on the coolant if it leaks external on the ground it might be ok, but if not its leaking into the cylinder wall. etc. etc. Well I am going to pick up the Rover tomorrow and pay him for his duties and will let you know how it does. Thanks guys..

PRimey

Old 09-22-2011, 10:20 AM
TReK

Wow...such a thorough diagnosis. If I used that logic and didn't use my tools at work, I wouldn't be turning wrenches anymore. Is this a holistic mechanic perhaps? I'm not saying his logic is wrong, but he needs to use the tools in his toolbox to properly diagnose the problem. If the coolant leaks on the ground is he going to tell you to replace the radiator and water pump?

Old 09-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did he wear large beads and chant over it?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I'd be more worried if he burned a chicken out back and has a voodoo doll of the last customer that bounced a check on him...

Mechanic is "telling" you in a nice way to take it somewhere else, IMHO.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok guys round 2...

I drove the vehicle home and it did leak out some Anti-Freeze/Coolant on the drive way after it cooled down, so I refilled Coolant and got the engine warm. The vehicle ran fine the 2nd time and I allowed it to run 25 minutes or so before I turned the vehicle off. I turned off the vehicle and had a slight drip under the reservoir (hose clamp), so I am gonna replace that and see if that is the problem. It did not leak out much coolant the 2nd time around and the only place I noticed leakage was around the hose clamp. Thanks for you guys help. I am just a novice trying to learn, but the Rover has plenty of power and seems to be running fine, but who knows I don't want to cook the engine. I have a friend coming to look at it today, who was a mechanic wish me luck, hopefully its not a HG.

Primey

Old 09-25-2011, 02:54 PM

What did the first mechanic charge you for his "Duties"?

We are or were all novices at some point in time. You will learn quickly that the more you try to do yourself on YOUR ROVER, the more comfortable you will become with YOUR ROVER, the more you will learn about YOUR ROVER, and the more you will be able to do on YOUR ROVER.

So put aside your fears, take ownership of it, download the RAVEW if you have not already, read all you can on here, embrace it and enjoy it. That is the best way to deal with the majority of what does arise. And do not be intimidated or hesitate to ask questions on here.

Welcome to the World of Discovery. Or should I say Recovery.

You are correct to be concerned about potential overheating. If you still have the black overflow tank, go ahead and order a clear or off-white replacement reservoir as the original blak ones do tend to rupture. Also, if your hoses are not in great shape, go ahead and order a hose reeplacement kit, new clamps, a thermostat and thermostat gasket and replace all that and flush your radiator or pull it out and take it to a good radiator shop to get it rodded out and make sure the coolant system is up to par.

You don't want an old hose or thermostat causing you a srious problem that could be prevented.

Get all your basic maintenace items caught up and you should be able to start enjoying your new to you Discovery.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by primey
I drove the vehicle home and it did leak out some Anti-Freeze/Coolant on the drive way after it cooled down, so I refilled Coolant and got the engine warm. The vehicle ran fine the 2nd time and I allowed it to run 25 minutes or so before I turned the vehicle off. I turned off the vehicle and had a slight drip under the reservoir (hose clamp), so I am gonna replace that and see if that is the problem. It did not leak out much coolant the 2nd time around and the only place I noticed leakage was around the hose clamp. Thanks for you guys help. I am just a novice trying to learn, but the Rover has plenty of power and seems to be running fine, but who knows I don't want to cook the engine. I have a friend coming to look at it today, who was a mechanic wish me luck, hopefully its not a HG.

Primey
Is the coolant reservoir white or black(or did you already state that?)

Old 09-26-2011, 02:11 PM

There is a short piece of heater hose from the curved metal pipe to the block. On mine, that piece had severely cracked and coolant oozed out there.

If all your heater and radiator hoses are originals, you can get a hose kit and go ahead and replace all of them.