Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Heated seats burning my bum

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Heated seats burning my bum

I just got this D1 and love it. Doing all the usual lost maintenance and upgrades on it now. The driver heated seat gets very toasty though especially on my right thigh for a minute or two before cooling down to a more normal temp. My old D2 never did this as it had a more comfortable heat build up. Anyone else have this problem? This can't be how they were designed.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Mine takes forever to warm up then gets hot so...

Old 03-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TOM R
Mine takes forever to warm up then gets hot so...
Ha, I don't know. I guess it's hard to explain, but I gotta lift my leg sometimes because it is nearly scalding hot even with jeans on. Makes me think some of the foam is missing. It feels like I'm sitting almost directly on the heating element. It cools back down after a while and is fine. I've had a few vehicles with heated seats, but this one is HEATED. I may take a look under the seat this weekend to see if anything looks unusual.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MC04DII
Ha, I don't know. I guess it's hard to explain, but I gotta lift my leg sometimes because it is nearly scalding hot even with jeans on. Makes me think some of the foam is missing. It feels like I'm sitting almost directly on the heating element. It cools back down after a while and is fine. I've had a few vehicles with heated seats, but this one is HEATED. I may take a look under the seat this weekend to see if anything looks unusual.
I've got the same problem but it never cools down. Do you have a small tears in the seat? It's like electroshock therapy that chaps me in the morning. I was told a folded towel would help keep the heat off of the mind Doesn't seem to be working thus far...

Old 03-05-2014, 04:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Beach towel and fold it. Chaps you eh. Oh what I could say, what I could SAY......any mind readers here? Block it out!

The D2 heating elements are the same as the D1 and easier to find. Last time I did a search I believe they're not that expensive and might take half a day to replace start to finish. There was a write-up on the net on how to replace em. If they're acting the way you folks are describing then I think it's time to replace them. Shouldn't be getting third degree burns to the buns although......ah, never mind.

I don't need a backside heater, I'm hot enough. I've honestly not had a problem with cold leather seats even in sub zero temps.....hmm. Warm butt, cold heart.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by landlover_1
I've got the same problem but it never cools down. Do you have a small tears in the seat? It's like electroshock therapy that chaps me in the morning. I was told a folded towel would help keep the heat off of the mind Doesn't seem to be working thus far...
No tears in the seat, but yeah you described it pretty well ha. I guess when they go out, they really let you know! I have no back of the seat heat. Am I suppose too?

Old 03-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a short, mine did the same thing But to a higher degree, pun intended Mine would actually burn my leg if i left it on lol.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ihscouts
what I could SAY......any mind readers here?
I see that you have looked at my profile...

“Of course I talk to myself. I like a good speaker, and I appreciate an intelligent audience.”
― Dorothy Parker

So please...

“Don't look at me in that tone of voice.”
― Dorothy Parker

“Everything I like is either illegal, immoral, fattening, addictive, expensive, or impossible.”
― Dorothy Parker

Thank you for the tips on the heating element although my search came up fruitless. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for?...How much do they run anyway...would a hot glue gun do the trick?...

Last edited by landlover_1; 03-05-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by LRadventure
Sounds like you have a short, mine did the same thing But to a higher degree, pun intended Mine would actually burn my leg if i left it on lol.
Did you ever find it? I know the ground wires for the seat movements can get shorted and cause the seat to be stationary.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by MC04DII
No tears in the seat, but yeah you described it pretty well ha. I guess when they go out, they really let you know! I have no back of the seat heat. Am I suppose too?
Perhaps it's a case of Causality, ie; 'Cause and Effect' in my instance. A short has caused the seat to burn hence resulting in the tears. As far as the backside.. I think IHScouts was 'doing a funny' as I don't have a back warmer either.

Quick Reply: Heated seats burning my bum