Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

heater and CC don't work

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default heater and CC don't work

so since I bought this thing the heater and cruise control have never worked. air just never gets hot. cruise control the light never comes on are these related? if not where can i begin troubleshooting

Old 04-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No they are not related.
I assume you have checked the coolant level?
Have you replaced the thermostat?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
No they are not related.
I assume you have checked the coolant level?
Have you replaced the thermostat?
^^^THIS^^^

Check your coolant level...if its normal, your tstat is stuck open.

No, the cc and heat aren't related. Download the RAVE, start there, fuses, switch, cc ecu, all troubleshooting is there, start there.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went and print various sections that pertained to what I was trying to focus on.

That allowed me to read and reread as I used those pages to work my way thru the problems. That is really about the best way to do it as far as I am concerned. A highlighter, a red pen to add notes/questions/wrench sizes (those are never listed in the RAVE), a three hole punch and a three ring binder and before long, you have a nice record of what you have done.

Some people prefer to do it on their laptop, tablet or cell phone, but I am Old School when it comes to that.

I have one binder for the Electrcal T/S Manual and schematics. Another for the parts breakdown pages by system, and another for the general stuff, arranged and cross tabbed by system.

Full of greasy fingerprints and the dates recorded that I did the various things. Make it easy for quick reference when I am down in the garage. Don't need to run up to the computer.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, if you do not have a good light and a creeper and eye protection, you should get them and crawl underneath and take a tour of her bottom.

See what leaking from where, what's rotted and about to fall off (my rear muffler did one day on the PA Turnpike). I tell people to treat it like you would a woman you picked up at a sleazy bar really close to closing time, get down there and take a good close look and see what you got, just don't get anything in your eyes. You could go blind.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Rock Crawling

well... i have a black leaky coolant tank. It drops about an inch below fill line and stays there. The gauge on the dash gets to right under 9 o clock and has never risen above. Now two different occasions after turning off the truck maybe a pint of coolant will just poor out. I am getting a new tank this weekend. Im still waiting on my obd2 adapter so that I can get an accurate temp reading. Should I be questioning my gauge though ?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Team Owner

Yes question the gauge, it will read normal even though the engine is not fully warmed.
Assuming your heater is hooked up, the no heat is a classic sign of a removed or stuck open t-stat.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Older Discos - some bypass the heater core to stop leaks, overheating, and hide bubbles in coolant under dash sound. See pix of two variations. Worth while to reverse flush heater core is disconnected. Gauge can read anything it wants to, not famous for being spot on. Pisx with radiator covered to show gauge reading for way to hot in my opinion. And I have run mine when testing without a stat on hot days, temp got to maybe 130 - 140 on scanner. You would not have any heat then. $10 fix. I run a 180F at the moment, 183F at 55, maybe touch 192 for short period in traffic after freeway run.

Also, if stat had been replaced at some time, and allowed to slip down while mounting, it leaves an opening at the top and behaves similar to a stuck open stat.

Attached Thumbnails heater and CC don't work-heater-bypass-2.jpg   heater and CC don't work-p1120320.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-03-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Rock Crawling

ok...when you say question the gauge, are you saying that even though it never rises above 9 that I may still be over heating? I guess I won't know until I get my reader.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by filbs
ok...when you say question the gauge, are you saying that even though it never rises above 9 that I may still be over heating? I guess I won't know until I get my reader.
NO!! What I am saying is that even though your temp gauge reads normal it may actually be running colder than you think, thus no heat.
If it was overheating you would have more heat than you wanted.

Quick Reply: heater and CC don't work