Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Heavy Duty or Medium Duty

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eh, people do it. the 3" vs. 2" for me is the same as medium vs. heavy. i don't wanna regret not going all out.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1" to me is not that big of a deal, at least not worth getting into drive line issues. Do camel trophy guys use more than 2? Oh wait, they all use series and defenders don't they?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Camel 4x4: Series II

anybody heard of these?

via online camel trophy discos have "uprated suspension".

Last edited by nahtanoj; 10-17-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know, never heard of ASFIR either but then again I just joined the 4x4 scene..

But they are cheaper than most kits..

Old 10-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Rock Crawling

the suspension brand is ironman, they seem to be pretty big in Australia. i'm doing some more research to see if they are worth a hoot.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by calebbo
When I press on the rear of Claire, she squeaks. To me that's a replacement sound..
probably more a bushing issue than the springs themselves

Old 10-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke to Justin at Lucky8 about that. He immediately said light for me..although I went with medium really because of pricing. You should call them, tell them you're getting a better price...maybe they'll match the pricing and give you real advice I don't think you'll get from any of the other retailers. My mechanic originally put them on in reverse so the truck was higher in the front. Sounds stupid but apparently it happens. Obviously, like Antichrist (?) said, it would be good to know the real weight.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
i read an article about how one of the reasons the range rover was so good was cause they had softer springs allowing great articulation. made me think at some point putting heavier springs is counter productive unless you have the weight to compress them. we are putting heavier springs to get height when most of us could get by with the stock spring rate with just a longer spring.

If you want to see great articulation, look at Disco Mike's Photo Albums on here. Talk about articulation. That is one arena that is totally new to me. But his pics off-road are impressive.

As far as height versus weight rating, from what I have seen (which is also limited) they are both relatively the same uncompressed length. I think the primary difference is the actual diameter of the metal bar stock that is coiled to make the spring. The heavier the rating, the larger diameter of the actual piece that the spring is made from. After all, the springs are formed from a straight piece of bar stock that is formed into a coil to produce a spring. Springs have a K factor (as I recall from Physics many moons ago).

As Tom Rowe pointed out, the total weight of the load is used to select the appropriate spring rate and thereby the rating of the spring.

Anyone that can provide a straight forward answer, please do so.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 10-18-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: changed "rod" to "bar stock" for more accurate terminology
Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The height of the spring and rate are two different animals although the rate affects the height when weight is put on it. If you notice all of the rover spring kits are light, med, and heavy the springs are all the same height just different rates. In theory if you had the weight that the spring is made for the hds would sit the same height as the light ones. The only reason the heavy duty springs give more height is cause moat of the time we don't carry as much weight as they are made for. The only springs I have seen that were actually different heights with different rates are the rovertym ones.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My original point was by putting the heavy springs without the weight to compress them limits the articulation.

Quick Reply: Heavy Duty or Medium Duty