Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Hella 500FF question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Hella 500FF question

So i TRIED wiring up my new hella's yesterday and as im an electrical IDIOT, it's not working. My plan was to use the pre-existing switch on the instrument cluster shroud for the rear fog lamp guards. The one on the left side second from the top. It's switch C263 X154 on the electrical trouble shooting guide for the 97 and ups. pg 290 of 591. The way the hellas come is with a four way relay out of the back of the relay is fused power in (from the battery), ground, power to the lamps, and the switch wire, which is yellow. I was hoping to be able to tap the yellow wire into the back of this fog guard switch but wire 5 on the fog guard switch isnt the wire im looking for.
My question is. is there something i can tie into off that switch as i'd like to keep it clean looking and that switch isn't used for anything? I'm praying that i can use it and i just read the diagram wrong and tried to tap into the wrong wire.

Danny? You're an electrical guru, help a brother out.

Last edited by turf63; 09-18-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: for clarity
Old 09-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The way I read it, use the red/yellow wire on that connector for the switch. Main lights have to be on. Relay K231 has to be present (might not be there if optional) and pulled in. MFU has to be working.

Since you have an isolating relay, should be OK. This circuit only has a 10 amp fuse.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I THOUGHT that was the one i tapped into. Im on my work laptop and dont have the rave on here (yet), is the red/yellow wire pin five for that plug? I thought thats what i tried to tie into. If it was and it didnt work, how would i go about checking for the relay? I hate wiring

Old 09-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Should have 12 volts between switch output and a ground point, if all OK. K231 relay is over on right side under dash area, with a nest of other relays. Wiring is no different from a road map. Fuse F9 in the under dash fuse box needs to be present.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-19-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

First. Why are you using THAT switch? The rear Fog lights are one of those weird but incredibly useful features unique to Land Rovers. Ever been driving down a dusty dirt road in a line of vehicles? You'd appreciate having those rear Fogs then.

Anyways, theres a good diagram on Dweb of the pin connectors for the reg fog light switch. But Dweb is down. HAHAHAHA!!

Regardless, there are 5 pin spots on the pigtail, only four should be used.
Not in any order:
1) Power from the main headlamps, provides power to the backlight
2) Power in from battery/relay
3) Power out to realy/lights
4) Ground

Figure these out and you're good to go.

If I were you I'd leave your rear fogs alone. Get a spare regular fog switch and pigtail and pop it in next to the Cruise switch.
Name:  P1300490.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  81.1 KB

Old 09-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishEH
First. Why are you using THAT switch? The rear Fog lights are one of those weird but incredibly useful features unique to Land Rovers. Ever been driving down a dusty dirt road in a line of vehicles? You'd appreciate having those rear Fogs then.

Anyways, theres a good diagram on Dweb of the pin connectors for the reg fog light switch. But Dweb is down. HAHAHAHA!!

Regardless, there are 5 pin spots on the pigtail, only four should be used.
Not in any order:
1) Power from the main headlamps, provides power to the backlight
2) Power in from battery/relay
3) Power out to realy/lights
4) Ground

Figure these out and you're good to go.

If I were you I'd leave your rear fogs alone. Get a spare regular fog switch and pigtail and pop it in next to the Cruise switch.
Hey, that is pretty cool. Did you get an entire new switch cluster and replace your ash tray?

Old 09-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by DiscoBlanco
Hey, that is pretty cool. Did you get an entire new switch cluster and replace your ash tray?
That's exactly what I did. From left to right the switches are:
-Pair Hella 4000's on front bumper
-Factory fog switch and wiring, currently unused
-Cruise switch, currently unused LOL.

-Outer pair Hella 550's on roof
-Inner pair Hella 550's on roof
-Unused, future reverse/work light/s

2-3 screws behind the binnacle and ash tray will remove the trim and the cup holders. Doing that will make wiring much easier. Switches, pigtails, and extra switch binnacle were sources from Will Tillery.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishEH
That's exactly what I did. From left to right the switches are:
-Pair Hella 4000's on front bumper
-Factory fog switch and wiring, currently unused
-Cruise switch, currently unused LOL.

-Outer pair Hella 550's on roof
-Inner pair Hella 550's on roof
-Unused, future reverse/work light/s

thats awesome!

where are you hiding all of the relays for all those lights, and is there one big junction block for the power, etc?

Old 09-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
thats awesome!

where are you hiding all of the relays for all those lights, and is there one big junction block for the power, etc?
Relays and Blue Sea fuse block are under the hood.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The reason im using the rear fog switch is because i dont have front fogs and im impatient and wanted to do it immediately with the resources i had. I also wasnt planning on cutting OUT the rear fogs. I had just cut a bit of the wire casing away behind the plug and was planning to wrap my switch wire around it. Thereby keeping the rear fogs but also enabling the front hellas at the same time. If i did have a front fog switch it def would have went there. Savannah, sounds like i might have been tapping into port five when i should have been getting into port one. but the diagram to me looks like port five is the one that goes to the lights. I guess if it doesnt work i need to start checking grounds huh?
Name:  fogcircuit.jpg
Views: 1722
Size:  47.9 KB

Quick Reply: Hella 500FF question