Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Hello Guys! New to the Rover World. 98 Disco 1 just purchased!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:16 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha @philwarner. I have my bouts with Dyslexia. you caught my mistake. I meant thicker viscosity in the summer, thinner in the late winter. I'm usually good, temp wise around here until late December. Now, that was different when I lived in Colorado, and Northeast Nevada. That whole 8 months of highs in the low 30s is rough. Anyways, thanks for making me look dumb. Feel free to do so whenever you please. Usually I do well enough on my own, but maybe you High Class Rover folks will keep me on my toes. Thanks guys! Have a beer for me tonight! Cheers.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:45 AM
TReK
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by jwittlock
Oh and I haven't picked up a Repair Manual, so which do all you guys recommend? I'm usually a Chilton huy, but I normally end up with all that I can find being a complete research junkie gearhead.

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/...0Discovery%20I

wmlj970e.pdf = workshop manual....aka: RAVE. The bible for these trucks

etlj970x.pdf - electrical troubleshooting manual. you'll eventually need it

hl01561n.pdf - owner's manual... highly optional

I can also share the following if you like...
4.0 & 4.6 overhaul manual
ABS codes
GEMS (generic engine management system) OBD codes
LT 230 Transfer box manual

Bottom line, no need to buy any manuals.

Last edited by WaltNYC; 02-20-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:10 AM
4wd Low

You're the man! I have a ruggedized tablet I keep in the shop with all my manuals just for that reason. Plus the world of generously shared media in the torrent world usually helps out my pockets. I only download freeware though, for all the feds watching..... My rig actually has the factory Owners Manual stuffed in the door pocket. Its even got a giant leather cover. Fancyyyy.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jwittlock
hahaha @philwarner. I have my bouts with Dyslexia. you caught my mistake. I meant thicker viscosity in the summer, thinner in the late winter. I'm usually good, temp wise around here until late December. Now, that was different when I lived in Colorado, and Northeast Nevada. That whole 8 months of highs in the low 30s is rough. Anyways, thanks for making me look dumb. Feel free to do so whenever you please. Usually I do well enough on my own, but maybe you High Class Rover folks will keep me on my toes. Thanks guys! Have a beer for me tonight! Cheers.

High class? Maybe the other guys here. No intent to make anyone look dumb; as a sufferer myself I regularly contribute to DAM (Mothers Against Dyslexia) and as a retired engineer I always had to double check my numbers to catch any reversals that could be big trouble indeed. And I will have a beer for you tonight after I clear the new snow off the deck and new ice off the disco.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not too far North of you in Huntsville. Seem's to be a lot of Rover guys in North Alabama.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:47 PM
4wd Low

Thanks Phil, I'm sure you know the issues I have going in my head. Its frustrating at times for sure.
That's awesome that your in Huntsville xathor, maybe there are my rover guys around here than I thought? I've been drinking the jeep kool-aid so long I probably never noticed. As for the high class thing, we all own luxury vehicles, probably enjoy a cold bud light in a can, so we must be high class. Hahah You guys are all really helpful, still chasing the demon with the interior light problem, the plunger seemed fine. So I guess I'll either tear into some wiring or just live with it. Cheers Boys!

Old 02-19-2015, 04:10 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Have you pulled the interior light fixture? There is a double wire connector that hooks into the light fixture but also there is a black(I am assuming ground wire) that connects to the chassis the light fixture bolts to.

make sure that Black wire is connected, I think it has to do with the plunger.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Jwhit, im nearby. I sent you a PM. Shoot me a text or a call and ill come wheel with you!

Old 02-19-2015, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Don't think you got answered, t case is gears

I have OME and bilstien ride is great ESP off road loaded down

Terra and rte , people usually say ride hard

Think one thing that makes these better then jeeps off road is they have weight to give traction

And yes we are a different class of people then the rude crude jeep kids

Welcome and enjoy

Old 02-19-2015, 10:34 PM
4wd Low

I figured it would be a gear box transfer case, and yeah its got quite a bit more heft than any Xj I've built makes sense... I like a little stiffer ride to be honest. This one's suspension is beat, but its clearing non matching 255/70/16 with a little scrub on the cntrl arms at full lock. Probably due the the ghetto, home fabbed, pipe bumper, no wheel spacers/offset wheels. All those miles in a Super duty makes you partial to a stiffer ride. I'll check the wires in the light this weekend. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by jwittlock; 02-19-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Hello Guys! New to the Rover World. 98 Disco 1 just purchased!