Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

HELP** 98 Disco 1 Alarm/ immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 02:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP** 98 Disco 1 Alarm/ immobilizer

Hey everyone,

I just got my First Land Rover got it real cheap ($800) 140k miles on craigslist. I know it needs some work valve cover gasket, exhaust, windshield are the big ones. But is overall in really good condition. Its a 98 D1 50th anniversary edition.

My question is, the previous owner has had the truck since 03 and informed me to NEVER lock the doors EVER! (only have a key, no Key Fob). He said it is because the immobilizer kicks in and the alarm goes off. I have done my fair share of research on this issue but have not had a definitive answer on whether or not the 98 D1 NAS has a Spider unit im able to bypass or not? the previous owner says he took apart the dash and his exact words were "the brain is fried". Wonder if hes talking about a spider unit?? no idea. Currently starts up every time but the anti theft led on the radio is always blinking, and the ring around the key hole is always red. ( i believe this means the alarm is currently armed?)

I have not locked the vehicle because im not sure how i would get back in if i "test" it out (this is my 2nd vehicle not my DD). Basically im wondering what sets off the alarm and triggers the immobilization? My basic brain just says if its triggered by unlocking and locking the doors it must be connected by a wire somehow and can i just cut this (on all the doors) so that nothing is triggered when i lock or unlock? Sorry if that sounds stupid. i don't even care if the alarm works or not at all i just want to be able to lock it as a deterrent.

p.s. i read in the manual that u can lock the vehicle without arming the alarm by holding the key in the lock position for over five seconds? is it that simple?....probably not im guessin

Thanks guys!!

Old 03-01-2017, 05:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

No spider unit in 97/98 D1's, its incorporated into the alarm module.
You should still be able to lock/ unlock with the key, maybe try with a window down just in case.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:25 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by loanrangie
No spider unit in 97/98 D1's, its incorporated into the alarm module.
You should still be able to lock/ unlock with the key, maybe try with a window down just in case.
im told if the rig is locked then the immobilizer kicks in and the vehicle can not be moved. all the while the alarm is whaling. is there a way to just disable the alarm module and immobilizer all together. i dont care if i rip it out. i want both (alarm and immobilizer) not to work

Old 03-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Winching
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

What happens if you remove the alarm fuse?

Old 03-01-2017, 01:00 PM
Overlanding

i assume it would turn off but not sure if that triggers something with the imobilizer or not. and i cant really lock it then pull it because then i cant get back it ....kind of a catch .22 as far as testing it out.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

No matter what forum you post on you'll pretty much find the same answers as on LRO, no dice removing the alarm. Not that many have ever cared to remove it and it's well tied into the electrical system of the truck, big PITA really. The service manual has the wiring diagrams, your more than welcome to be the first kid on the block to remove it.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:37 AM
Winching
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Spencer
p.s. i read in the manual that u can lock the vehicle without arming the alarm by holding the key in the lock position for over five seconds? is it that simple?....probably not im guessin
That is what I did for a while. It is easy.
Say, does your radio work?

Old 03-03-2017, 09:40 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by hrhoward
That is what I did for a while. It is easy.
Say, does your radio work?
Did your rig have an alarm/ immobilizer issue at the same time as using that 5 second key trick?

and yes radio, tape player, and factory 6 dsk CD changer work great!

Old 03-03-2017, 09:52 AM
Winching
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Didn't trust the door lock to arm/disarm the alarm. Felt "funny". So I just used the key and held it for five seconds. Nothing in it that I was worried about someone snatching. I got the fob working and use that now that there are some things in there I don't want anyone else having.

So the radio works and the led flashes at the same time? Weird.
The red light around the ignition switch comes on and off with the dome light. Don't thing it has anything to do with the alarm circuit.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by hrhoward
So the radio works and the led flashes at the same time? Weird.
The red light around the ignition switch comes on and off with the dome light. Don't thing it has anything to do with the alarm circuit.
yea the led on the radio always flashes red but to the right of the light it says "theft system" or some form of those words. So i assumed that the blinking red led on the radio effected that alarm system in some way.

dont know if the red key light goes off actually, just always noticed it when i go to put the key in.

Quick Reply: HELP** 98 Disco 1 Alarm/ immobilizer