Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Help - any land rover shop techs out there? Or..

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:34 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - any land rover shop techs out there? Or..

I'm new here & to land rover ownership (two months) but i love the beast.

Someone who could tell me if the proper factory prescribed service procedure for replacing the tie rod ends (both ends) & cross tube assembly on a 1996 discovery SE indicates to remove the wheels?

Some background:
Took my 96 into a national chain shop (AAA approved etc) to get the tie rods & connecting assembly (it was bent) replaced, along with an alignment. Left with car, and now abs issue comes up within a block of the shop (cant touch brake without abs losing its sh*t - pulsing, grinding, loud as h*ll and sinking to the floor, no stopping etc..) took it directly back - drove less than 6 miles - and the guy insists he noticed when he drove it before repair but didn't tell me because 'he assumed i knew'..

Which he couldn't have 'noticed' - since I'd driven it 20 miles there w/o issue & 1000 miles the previous week w/o prob, as had a second driver. Of course when another guy at that shop drove it two days before he didn't mention anything of the sort either.

I'm certain this is him trying to cover his ****, but as he proudly proclaimed *I couldn't have done it, I didnt even take the wheels off!" I got a sinking feeling that he KNEW he screwed something up.

He then wanted to do a $90 diagnostic with no offer to even deduct it if I did the work there. Of course he pushed his oil change 'club' hard as hell when I left w/truck first time... even though I take 2 qts more than they include....

Can anyone with ase & land rover shop experience tell me if the land rover official procedure indicates removing wheels to change that whole thing? tie rod ends and cross brace/tube assembly?

Thanks guys!

Old 07-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

track rod behind axle = no

Drag link in front of axle = yes pass side

download the Rave manual below in my signature, you can print applicable pages.

It's in discovery-workshop manual-steering-repair-track rod & draglink removal.

luck,greg

Old 07-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This may be coincidence, the ABS system on DI's is for crap and this is exactly what happens when it goes bad.
He may have knocked a wheel speed sensor loose, have them check that first.
Also the plugs on the wheel sensors.
When they come back that those are all good then tell them to do a brake fluid flush for free and you will go away.
Then while you are in the parking lot open the hood, remove the 30A ABS pump fuse from the fuse box on the passenger fender.
Close hood.
ABS problem solved and you can now stop safely.
You will no longer have ABS.
If you want to fix the ABS then I hope you have a deep pocket.

I really do not think this was their doing.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Spike. I would be careful who I let work on it but also be careful not to automatically blame them when something does act up.

My ABS has just started to act up on my 97, sounds like I'll be pulling that fuse pretty soon myself. It's freaky when it starts pulsating unexpectedly like that.