Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Help! Head Gasket/Bottom End Knock/Engine Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
Any ideas of how I can confirm the type of crank sensor bung or mount if I'm buying an engine and having it shipped to me?

EDIT: I just fielded the same question to ECR and will post the response here.
He's talking about whether it's a Bosch engine or GEMS. The P38 up to 98 should drop in. the P38 99+ is basically the same block, but the fuel injection and engine management are different. you have to change how the crank sensor attaches, and then you'd have to reuse all of your disco intake and stuff.

http://www.roverparts.com/TechTips/boschvsgems.cfm

Last edited by jafir; 03-28-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm, sounds like you dropped a sleeve in the engine. Ive only seen this once before, but it happens

Old 03-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbm6287
hmmm, sounds like you dropped a sleeve in the engine. Ive only seen this once before, but it happens
Why do you say this, as opposed to a head gasket? Or are you saying the dropped sleve explains both the bottom end noise and the coolant leak? It still runs, and drives fine honestly, but I'm parking it until I go to the shop on Thursday in case there are any salvageable parts. And no I don't plan to tow it this time, I just sold my tow rig...

Old 03-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Winching

Looks like I need a GEMS engine for it to drop in, since that's what I have in my Disco. Were both used in overlapping years? And that would be found in any P38 RR 1998 and earlier, right? Just want to have my facts straight before I purchase an engine...

Old 03-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
Looks like I need a GEMS engine for it to drop in, since that's what I have in my Disco. Were both used in overlapping years? And that would be found in any P38 RR 1998 and earlier, right? Just want to have my facts straight before I purchase an engine...
The P38 could have a 4.0L in it too, if it were a cheaper trim level. The 99 might have had both gems and bosch, but I'm not sure.

Here is a thread that talks about the extra work in using the wrong block.

GEMS to Bosch conversion - DiscoWeb Message Boards

Old 03-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Winching

I'll get a GEMS, either 4.0 or 4.6. I want to streamline it for my shop as much as possible simply because while I believe they are the most competent mechanics in my region, there are no specialized Rover shops around. I think I'll save in the long run (and the shop will be more comfortable warrantying their work) with a bolt-in part. I've always wanted to do an engine swap myself, but now that I need one I don't have time. Sad day...

Old 03-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

are you in rexburg? what shop are you using? I didn't have a land rover when I lived there, but I sure wish I did.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by jafir
are you in rexburg? what shop are you using? I didn't have a land rover when I lived there, but I sure wish I did.
Yes, and I don't trust a single shop in this town! I've been to most of them and was discouraged by the amateur attitudes, and being treated like I couldn't possibly do the work myself. Even got screwed by a few. When I need legitimate work done and don't have time to do it myself, I go to C&S Auto Repair in Idaho Falls. C&S Auto Repair home

I have occasionally rented a carhauler trailer to get one of my rigs down there rather than wasting time and money with the local scene.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Winching

Is there any benefit to using a 4.6 crank or cam on the 4.0 block?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Winching

What is the purpose of secondary air injection? Is that EGR? Does it matter if I have it? Noticed it as an option of some of the used engines I've been seeing.

Quick Reply: Help! Head Gasket/Bottom End Knock/Engine Woes