Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Help! Head Gasket/Bottom End Knock/Engine Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had excellent results with this particular shop, and they are very upfront about cost. I do have a spare vehicle so I may be able to find time to do some of the work myself, and just drag it out over a few weeks. I'm still going to pay them for a full diagnostic and have them price out the options before I commit any sweat equity to a project I could just as easily pay for.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check this out, a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty on a remanufactured engine!!!!

HiPerformerŽ - Remanufacturing

Old 03-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Old 03-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Wow, nice. I just may buy one. Again waiting on the final verdict from the mechanic for cost before I commit to doing anything or paying for anything. I just hope the snow lets up because my 2WD Ranger is no match for the Rover in these conditions, lol.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

go to car-part.com if searching for a used engine. there is one in rigby, and 3 in ogden.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Winching

Yeah that's where I've been looking. The one in Rigby has 167k miles though. I like that particular junkyard, it's where I got some '91 SE-R rims for my '89 Sentra, LOL. I've found some engines in Ogden, Orem, and West Vally, plus a few in Washington, any one of which could justify a nice road trip in my pickup, lol.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Winching

I don't blame you on that, just be prepared to throw down some significant bucks my friend.

I know a local guy who just bought a DII from a young couple. They had taken it to the LR dealear for the 90K service and it cost them 6 grand to get it back. They decided they could not afford to keep it and put it up for sale. He paid them $5500 cash for it and it was immaculate inside and out. He has since replaced the driveshaft.
Haha that's why a) I'm not taking it to a Rover dealership, and b) I have a biologist for a wife. If the repair is expensive, I can just say "but honey, we'll need the Rover for rhinoceros hunting some day"...

Actually I think I'll do some but not all of it myself.

Originally Posted by demonlarry
you'll want to replace those gaskets, too. once crushed they never seal correctly again.
Okay I will do that, makes sense.

Regarding my question about crank sensor position and type, ECR confirmed with me that it's just a question of Bosch vs. GEMS:

There is a GEMS and a Bosche block.
You will want a GEMS block.

I'm thinking if I do put in a used engine I'll do the water pump, oil pump, and oil pan gasket, then let the shop do the head gasket, valve cover gaskets, and the swap. Their labor price will determine whether I can afford the 4.6 swap or just stick with a used 4.0. Then of course I may not even need a swap, but if I've got piston rings going out or anything like that, that's another story.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 03-29-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 AM

OK, I guess a lot depends upon the condition of your engine. The lower end knock that has persisted for over 3k miles would concern me. I would think that it had to do some damage over time.

I was just checking out your audio site. I need to replace my sound system but do not want to spend a fortune doing it. Got any ideas for something good, easy and inexpensive there?

Old 03-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Winching

OK, I guess a lot depends upon the condition of your engine. The lower end knock that has persisted for over 3k miles would concern me. I would think that it had to do some damage over time.

I was just checking out your audio site. I need to replace my sound system but do not want to spend a fortune doing it. Got any ideas for something good, easy and inexpensive there?
In your Disco? Sure. Shoot me a PM and we can brainstorm ideas. I have a few options I'm considering for my Disco, just haven't had the time.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Winching

So, do our trucks have secondary air injection?

Quick Reply: Help! Head Gasket/Bottom End Knock/Engine Woes