Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Help me make my own heat shield/underhood insulation?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help me make my own heat shield/underhood insulation?!

Hey guys, i've got no insulation under my hood, and that supposedly resulted in the melting of paint on my hood. (and the problem area extends a little outside of the "blackout hood" range, dangit.) I'd like to get the rather large blemish repaired soon...and obviously don't want it to melt it again.

Anybody know what the material is? Where I can get it? Maybe a picture of yours or measurements so I can make my own? Also, what's used to hold it in place?

Thanks for spoon-feeding me, hoping to make this myself since I won't pay $100-$500 for a replacement shipped.

I'm also open to other ideas besides paying a shop to repair/paint my hood. I've found used blue hoods for $200...but this is my cheap/fun truck...so naturally, i'm gonna be cheap. I don't want to flat black the entire hood, so even if I do the Rover blackout I've still got the fang bothering me. Any suggestions paint guru's?

Attached Thumbnails Help me make my own heat shield/underhood insulation?!-img_5911.jpg  
Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Thats a nice color. I'm not driving the truck today but if someone doesnt beat me to it I canter the dimensions to you when I get home. Obviously whatever you use you want to be fire retardant and heat dissipating. Im not "advocating" theft but have you ever seen those fire blankets at work that are in the big Red can? I bet if you folded it over it would be perfect under there. As far as the hood goes I would do it three different ways in no particular order. 1) take it off. Strip it and rattle can it with as close a color match as possible around the outside and the go with a blackout so if the hood doesnt match perfect it wont be too obvious 2) strip it and flat black the whole hood. I'm doing my bumper end caps now and I'll probably do my wheels this weekend. I love it. 3) do something obnoxious and totally different. Find a friend who can paint and give them "creative license" to do whatever. Put a frank frezetta painting on it (google images him)

Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by turf63
Thats a nice color. I'm not driving the truck today but if someone doesnt beat me to it I canter the dimensions to you when I get home. Obviously whatever you use you want to be fire retardant and heat dissipating. Im not "advocating" theft but have you ever seen those fire blankets at work that are in the big Red can? I bet if you folded it over it would be perfect under there. As far as the hood goes I would do it three different ways in no particular order. 1) take it off. Strip it and rattle can it with as close a color match as possible around the outside and the go with a blackout so if the hood doesnt match perfect it wont be too obvious 2) strip it and flat black the whole hood. I'm doing my bumper end caps now and I'll probably do my wheels this weekend. I love it. 3) do something obnoxious and totally different. Find a friend who can paint and give them "creative license" to do whatever. Put a frank frezetta painting on it (google images him)
Hah, i'm not so sure about letting a friend loose! I will have to find some pictures of totally blacked out hoods, if I remember correctly, I wasn't a big fan as I don't want it to look like an improper salvage yard replacement like the cheap old civics driving around.

For option 1: (attempted paint match around the edges) you or anyone else know the best way to approach this? Meaning, semi-gloss rattle can and then clear coat?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle

On a much smaller scale I just did a head light finisher. I grabbed a Forrest green rattle can (my actual color is Epsom) and shot a few coats and the. Clear coated it twice lightly and once heavy and it left a good "wet" finish on it.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I guess a totally blacked out hood could look like a hood just ready for the spray booth or off a junker. That's true.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:23 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 05-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah. That's probably a WAY better idea than stealing.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This looks good:
Heat/Sound Insulation - JCWhitney

They have a nice live chat feature also I just was helped by Rosa.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It wasn't engine heat that did that.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Spike, mine has no engine blanket at all and has had no detrimental effect. Yours took a serious adhesion failure, looks more like an acid was poured on or something chemical in nature.

I know the Florida sun can be rough, I was there from 1983-1993 in Brevard county, and even earlier I was in the Navy, mostly in Florida 1971-75, 73-75 was in Key West, the jumping off spot.

But your case is special I believe. Too bad, I like that Navy Blue, put a White Hood on it, Paint a flag on each side, do it up in a Patriotic Fashion.

Quick Reply: Help me make my own heat shield/underhood insulation?!