Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

HELP!!! New to me, electric problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 05:25 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! New to me, electric problems

Hello, So I just bought a 1996 Disco. The front Passenger window works, none of the others do though. I checked the fuses, and none of them are blown. I replaced the switches with new ones, and the symptoms are still there. I do hear a relay working when I press the drivers window button, but that's as far at it goes. No sounds in the door or anything. Help? the same goes with the rear windows, but I don't hear the relay, not a huge problem as i never use the rear ones anyways. In addition to that, the passenger side doesn't unlock when I push the remote, only when I pull up on the lock mechinism or with the key. I see the plungers move, but not enough, is that an easy fix? how the hell do I pull the panels off the inside of the door? Ohh, and the rear sunroof works fine, the but front one, when I push the button, the motor moves and rotates, but don't move the window. I looked and checked and I can't find anything that moves, so some help there would be appreciated as well.

Thank you!

Dave

Old 01-30-2016, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Did you push the window lock button to turn it off?

If the door locks make noise and don't move there us a tiny spring in the door lock mech on each door that breaks

Door panels iirc unbolt the armrest , maybe a few screws and it pops off with a door panel tool

Old 01-30-2016, 06:26 PM
Drifting

The windows should work from the center control hub whether the window lock is engaged or not right? however, i have tried it both ways. the passenger window moves, none of the others do. The door locks move, however on the passenger side it's as if they aren't moving far enough.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:40 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

As for the windows not working there is an ECM for them under the glove box. Remove it and reflow the relays on them.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:51 PM
Drifting

Where is the "ECM?" What color is it? Picture if possible please! I found out the windshield wipers were blowing a fuse too. So I pulled it, and hooked a wire from the +battery terminal, and the red lead into the motor and sparks. I'm assuming that means that I have a bad motor correct? Thanks!

Old 01-30-2016, 10:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

There are instructions in here somewhere that show how to remove the circuit board and resolder the joints on the board that crack. Most likely that is your problem.

Found it.. http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread....ift-ECU-How-To

Worked on my windows.

Last edited by jimvw57; 01-30-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:55 PM
Drifting

So, I went and pulled the panel, the drivers side motor was disconnected, so once I connected it, the motor ran, however, that being said, the regulator arm isn't connected and someone cut the gear teeth at the bottom that connect to the motor. Is there an easy way to pull the door into separate sections to readily or easily replace this? I'm now working through the panel and I'm getting super irritated.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by dwjwii
the regulator arm isn't connected and someone cut the gear teeth at the bottom that connect to the motor.
Don't understand the cutting since no photo was attached. Do a forum search for window motor regulator issues/replacement and you should find your answers with plenty of photos. Relatively easy and inexpensive to repair. Fact that motor turns when powered sans a load doesn't rule out possibility rule that it's bad. Unless on a tight budget good idea to replace while in there.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Nobody cut the teeth on the regulator, they break. The slides are what causes that, they bind when worn. You'll have to muster up some patience or sell the truck cuz the door is just the way you don't want it, one piece. Rovahfarm.com has new regulators.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:26 AM
Drifting

I really don't think these ones wore out... see pictures. the gear at the bottom was cut off.

Attached Thumbnails HELP!!! New to me, electric problems-imag2434.jpg   HELP!!! New to me, electric problems-imag2433.jpg  

Quick Reply: HELP!!! New to me, electric problems