Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

help resurrecting a dead disco

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 05:47 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help resurrecting a dead disco

This is the second thread about this one. It is a 95 Disco manual transmission that had been parked in a pasture for about 10 years, and I am trying to get it running for my son in college.
So far, I have replaced the fuel pump,plugs, battery, alternator, and serpentine belt. I rebuilt the clutch hydraulics, but it still needs pumping up before starting.

So here is the mystery- It starts great, seems to shift fine, but when driving, it goes for a few seconds, then really shudders a few times, goes for a few more seconds, shudders again, etc. And when I say shudders, I mean it just about throws you into the dash and back.

I managed to get it to the gas pump, about three hundred yards from the shop. I put a few gallons in the tank, and it ran great for about three minutes, then started the shudder thing again. After a few days of working on it some more, I drove it over to the pump and put another 15 gallons into it. Once again, It gave me three minutes of smooth driving. I thought maybe the gas tank was not venting, and developing a suction, but the problem is the same with the gas cap off. The rubber joint on the prop shaft seems reasonably intact. When the rpms drop in conjunction with the shuddering, giving it more gas does nothing.

Unless anyone has a great Idea, I was thinking of putting it on the lift and disconnecting the shafts so that I can see how the transmission and differentials feel when moved by hand. I also was thinking about pulling the injectors. Any help appreciated.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

when u get it jacked up you should be able to spin things enough to determine if one of the wheel bearings or brakes is dragging....or a u- joint

The following users liked this post:
toadboy65 (04-05-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 11:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know about the pre 96 but, if it has one, I would check the speed sensor. Sounds like your fuel might be shutting off. If it has one it will be behind the ebrake cable, between the drum and transfer case. Gently pull it out, gently separate/clean/grease and reassemble with rtv

The following users liked this post:
toadboy65 (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 12:33 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 04-05-2016, 02:07 PM
Drifting

You absolutely win the kewpie doll. I took the speed sensor apart, rebuilt it, put it back on, same problem. I put the car back on the lift, unplugged the thing, and now it runs fine. So the next thing is to figure out and solve the "check engine" light. any hints?

Old 04-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

awesome! disconnect the battery for a few minutes, reconnect, and see if the CEL goes away - it might have been related to your dodgy speed sensor and just needs a reset to clear it. If not, get the codes read.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:54 PM
TReK
Received 438 Likes on 364 Posts
Old 04-05-2016, 04:58 PM
Drifting

Ok, I am stumped again. In any rational world, something labeled "Range Rover Onboard Diagnostic Display" would be an object capable of displaying something. Yet it appears to be just a black plastic box, wired into the harness under the driver's seat.

Also, I was shocked to see the price on the speed sensor. I had mine apart, and rebuilt it more or less according to the instructions posted here. It did not work, but that may also be due to something on the other end of the wires connecting it, wherever they go. But I know for a fact that the components of the speed sensor are not worth more than $10.00, if that much.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 04-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Um, the key has to be in positon II for the fuel injection display unit to toss red two digit codes your way.

Quick Reply: help resurrecting a dead disco