Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

...Help? :( Won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...Help? :( Won't start.

Ok so I have a 97 Land Rover. The key will not turn. The steering wheel is locked. and the car is stuck in park...We jump started it and it worked but now its not... Is thee battery dead or what?

Old 05-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by freakycorpse
Ok so I have a 97 Land Rover. The key will not turn. The steering wheel is locked. and the car is stuck in park...We jump started it and it worked but now its not... Is thee battery dead or what?
Confused, you said the key won't turn and the wheel is locked, how did you get it started by jumping? If you can't turn your key, it's prob something in your ignition assembly, if you got the key to turn and did jump start it, then when you turn off and it won't restart, yes, it's your batt, also check that your alt.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Drifting

When we jumped it we had to fiddle with the key to get it to turn. but when its not hooked up on jumper cables it stays locked :/ I'm ..new to ...cars haha anything I can do to..Fix it myself? I have no money

Old 05-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Drifting

also i want to disconnect the alarm and electric locks. Because My alarm sets itself sometimes and my keychain is worn out to heck. also the car locks and unlocks the doors by itself...OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Happened like 20 times before. Annoying . and sometimes when I honk my horn the doors lock...Funny at first but kind of annoying...

Old 05-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by freakycorpse
also i want to disconnect the alarm and electric locks. Because My alarm sets itself sometimes and my keychain is worn out to heck. also the car locks and unlocks the doors by itself...OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Happened like 20 times before. Annoying . and sometimes when I honk my horn the doors lock...Funny at first but kind of annoying...
There are many on here that are much better but as for your ignition, sounds like it's getting worn out. As far as the alarm etc, download the RAVE manual, it'll give you all the wiring schematics you'll ask for. Also jump it, get it to your local parts store, they'll check your batt and alt for free more than likely.

land rover service factory manual RAVE download land rover resource, service manual, workshop factory manual, download, rave, vehicles including discovery, series, defender, range rover, freelander, LR3, Handbooks, Catalog, Catalogue, Land Rover Inte

Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Pop the trim piece off of the top of the gear shifter and tighten the nut inside there and see if that fixes your ignition issue.
If the battery were dead the key would still come out even if the truck was in gear.
Take the remote off of your key chain, if the buttons are shorting out they could be locking/unlocking the truck.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Rock Crawling

There's an interlock that will cause this. It went bad on me and the key would not come out of the ignition. If that's it, you need to remove the steering column surround around the ignition switch and unplug the thing right on top of the key cylinder. It may be due to the park switch or the brake switch, but this will allow you to turn the key and get it out of Park, hopefully.