Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery II cranks but no start (doesn't / won't start)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Discovery II cranks but no start (doesn't / won't start)

Vehicle: 2004 Land Rover Discovery SE

Symptoms:

I went to the grocery store and when I came out, my car wouldn't start. I called my wife and was telling her that she was probably going to have to come get me. Just before we got off the phone, I tried cranking it again and it started up so I drove home.

1 week later:

Driving home from work, my check engine light came on when I was traveling at about 65-70 mph. When I got home, I put my OBDII tool on it and it threw the following codes:

* P1300
* P0304
* P0307

I cleared the codes and since the Disco was running fine, I figured I would look into it as soon as I could.

2 weeks later:

I was coming home from work when my D2 died all of the sudden while I was at a stop light on red. I put on my flashers and tried cranking, but no start. A cop pulled up behind me and called a wrecker for me but after we waited about 30 minutes, I told him I would try and start it one more time. I tried and it started right up, so I was able to get it home and into my garage.

I've replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) with a Bosch model from Advance Auto Parts. When it still didn't start, I took the sensor back and exchanged it for another, thinking it might be a faulty sensor. I re-installed the new one, but the car still won't start.

Other info:

When I try to crank it, it acts like it's about to start up but stops just short. After trying it a few times, I hear a beep / chime 3 times.

Here's a link to the sensor I installed: Buy BWD/Intermotor Crankshaft Sensor CSS1050 at Advance Auto Parts

Any ideas on what I should try next? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Discovery II cranks but no start (doesn't / won't start)-2-4-2013-7-52-27-pm.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You may have installed the sensor incorrectly. Every nut and spacer has to be exact, the spacing is critical. If sensor is not working, there won't be spark. Also, spacer that came with truck should be compared to new one. There is a different thickness of spacer for manual vs automatic transmissions.

The "won't start" then cools off and starts is a very common sign of a bad CKP sensor.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Overlanding

Well, I put the spacers back, then slipped the sensor over the little threaded bolts, then secured it with the nuts and put the cover back on, plugged it in. Are the spacers different lengths?

Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a page from the manual. See if this helps on the alignment .

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 ckp.pdf (1.55 MB, 4178 views)
Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Mudding

Sensor, spacers then nuts. In that exact order.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Overlanding

@909wheeler, you da man. for dumb diy-ers like myself, spelling it out in black and white is often necessary.

I was putting the spacers on first, which is really silly I know, but i work on computers for a living so sometimes this car stuff is a little Greek to me. If it weren't for you guys, my car would probably be in the shop right now and I would be getting screwed by a mechanic, haha. Thanks again Savannah Buzz and 909wheeler!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Here's why the spacing is an issue - the tip of the sensor has to be spaced just right from that ring of drilled slots, about 60 of them. As they fly by just a few millimeters away it makes an electrical signal that the ECU uses to generate the timing for the engine. Be sure sensor does not have bent tip or metal "fuzz" on the tip. The gear teeth on the outer ring, which are engaged by the starter, can be a source of metal chips. Easier to plug in sensor and let it hang down. On a D1, the reluctor disk has small flat tabs for the trucks without a distributor.

Attached Thumbnails Discovery II cranks but no start (doesn't / won't start)-ckp-sensor-internal.jpg   Discovery II cranks but no start (doesn't / won't start)-d1-reluctor-ring-oil-pan.jpg   Discovery II cranks but no start (doesn't / won't start)-reluctor-2.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-05-2013 at 12:30 AM.