Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Here's how I begin working on my Rover...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
There is a bearing and seal for the CVJ inside the stub axle. Remove the bearing with a slide hammer, small puller attached. The bearing is small, fits inside the bump that the hub seal rides on.
See, theres your answer.
Will that bearing have to be replaced Doug or can he leave well enough alone?

Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Depends on what's found when the stub's removed. If he follows Buzz's suggestion of pulling a "good" stub from the bone yard the bearing and seal will come with it. It's a guide for the output side of the CV, balances it. Is it ultra critical, yes and no but if I was going as deep I would just replace it along with the CV. The other side will probably follow suit if no attention has been paid. It's a pay me now or pay me latter subject. I'd rather be positive I have it back together as best as possible so I'm not revisiting the same area for something I could have done while it was apart. People pay me for what I do, I'm a bit jaded. I sure don't want to loose their respect or trust. It's an art I can't teach unless your looking over my shoulder.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I didn't realize there were that many Rovers up there.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
See, theres your answer.
Will that bearing have to be replaced Doug or can he leave well enough alone?
Originally Posted by ihscouts
Depends on what's found when the stub's removed. If he follows Buzz's suggestion of pulling a "good" stub from the bone yard the bearing and seal will come with it. It's a guide for the output side of the CV, balances it. Is it ultra critical, yes and no but if I was going as deep I would just replace it along with the CV. The other side will probably follow suit if no attention has been paid. It's a pay me now or pay me latter subject. I'd rather be positive I have it back together as best as possible so I'm not revisiting the same area for something I could have done while it was apart. People pay me for what I do, I'm a bit jaded. I sure don't want to loose their respect or trust. It's an art I can't teach unless your looking over my shoulder.
Thank you ihscouts for your input and valuable info. I will most certainly go get a stubby from the local boneyard.. and in case I find that the cause of the friction is the cv joint, well I guess I'll be walking to the liquor store.. err I mean parts store!