Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

hesitation on startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Couple of tips. You should only run 93 Octane or higher from a reputable gas station (ie not the mom and pop or wally world). These engines are designed to run on the higher test gas and the low test gas will cause the engine to run hot, make the oil sludge, and gunk up your engine really bad.

Second, as for the fuel pressure at the rail you don't need a fancy gauge to check it. Go to your local wal-mart and buy a round dial tire gauge for 5 bucks (not a stick gauge). That is all you need to check your fuel pressure.

Third thing, sounds like you are keeping up with the oil changes and some service so make sure you add your fuel filter to that list of items to be serviced.

Last, make sure you add greasing your UJ's at every oil change to your maintenance list. And don't neglect your diff's, t-case, and tranny.

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Just like DiscoMedic said, premium gas is REQUIRED in these trucks.
If you do not run premium gas 98% of the time you will have problems.
You need to start there.
And you are wasting your money with the injector cleaner, if you use good gas you will never need it.
And you will get a 10-15% reduction in MPG by using regular grade gas.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Just like DiscoMedic said, premium gas is REQUIRED in these trucks.
If you do not run premium gas 98% of the time you will have problems.
You need to start there.
And you are wasting your money with the injector cleaner, if you use good gas you will never need it.
And you will get a 10-15% reduction in MPG by using regular grade gas.
California doesn't sell 93 octane gas, do you know if mixing 100 and 91 would be ok?

Old 09-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyakku
California doesn't sell 93 octane gas, do you know if mixing 100 and 91 would be ok?
Yes it would be as long as it is no lead, however 91 octane is the min required for these engines so you will be fine running just the 91.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

To the OP, as stated, 91 at least.

Go to the tech section and read up on services. There is also a procedure for reading the codes and fixing that annoying ABS light...

Old 09-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Winching

Sorry about the 93 thing. We don't get 91 around here. It is 93 for premium. You get the idea about the high test though.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Drifting

changed the filter this morning and while i was out i filled the tank with 93 octane.

Name:  filter.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  87.5 KB

i couldnt get the old lines off the old filter so i cut the steel lines and then used power steering lines on the new filter. they were pretty corroded anyway. i was disgusted at the amount of nasty brown crap that came out of the old filter. after taking it for a drive i depressed the valve on the fuel rail and it caught me off gaurd and sprayed all over. way better than what it looked like in the video. i wont be able tell if this fixed the problem until i start it up tomaro morning.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Winching

Keep us updated.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine was so corroded when I bought it, the clamp and filter had become one. Moving the filter resulted in pinhole leak. Same for the fuel lines, multiple leaks developed at most clamp locations. I installed all new lines from fuel pump to engine bay.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Mine was so corroded when I bought it, the clamp and filter had become one. Moving the filter resulted in pinhole leak. Same for the fuel lines, multiple leaks developed at most clamp locations. I installed all new lines from fuel pump to engine bay.
lucky for me there wasnt all steel lines. about halfway to the front it turned into rubber for about 6 inches then back to steel. i dealt with the same problem your talking about on another car i had. its not fun to fix a leaky fuel line then start it up to find out its leaking somewhere else so i ripped them both out and used brake line as a replacement. worked pretty good.

Quick Reply: hesitation on startup